Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crows taking my chickens eggs  (Read 10997 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Crows taking my chickens eggs
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 10:11:27 pm »
Lead diet. You can't be sentimental about it. They aren't when they eat songbird chicks. If we give them a free supply of food, they will multiply and take more songbirds.

True - much as cats do. :thinking:
But possiby if we feed them they won't feel the need to eat the songbirds chicks. :fc:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 01:45:33 pm »
Take your time and plan well. set the eggs out where they can see them and you can see the crows
Find a comfy hide spot or build something; maybe, a sack with a hole in it nailed over a shed Doorway?

Feed them for another few days. Ideally at the same time of day. Then have a go at them.

You could even try cracking one so it will break at they pick it up or even super gluing an egg to a bit of string and to the ground? just to delay it/them a bit?

One other note; if they watch you walking from eggs to your hide they may not come down.
So get someone else the eggs down that day, do it earlier/ phase them all away so they don't see you go to your hide. 
Good luck.

Alternatively, I've been wanting to build a ladder trap for years! Google it! I figured I could build it into the roof of the next run that I make, so it's multi purpose.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 08:10:42 pm »

But possiby if we feed them they won't feel the need to eat the songbirds chicks. :fc:
[/quote]
Or the crow survival rate could improve and there'll be more of them to eat the songbird chicks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS