Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dressmaking ?  (Read 4875 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Dressmaking ?
« on: January 17, 2016, 04:06:31 pm »

Is anyone on here a dressmaker?  I haven't used my sewing machine once since we moved here 20 years ago, not even to make curtains.  As a teenager I made all my own clothes, except underwear, and I was quite good at it, although no expert.

Now I need to make some curtains, chair covers etc so am checking over my sewing machine.  I thought that as I'm going to be using it I might as well make some clothes as well.  So I've been online to look at some patterns.  My favourite make was Simplicity so I started with them, then looked at other makes.  Whatever has happened to dressmaking? ???  There are far more patterns for dolls' clothes than for adults, and the ones there are are drab and dreary.  On looking close-up, the makeup of the examples tends to be very poor too - collars sitting at different heights, seams not lying smooth, cheap flimsy fabrics used. I'm totally underwhelmed with the choice and quality, and I think the only option is to work out how to make my own patterns so I get exactly what I want.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Dressmaking ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:24:26 pm »
I have recently gone back to a bit of dressmaking and was also a bit dismayed at the range of patterns available, and the price! I have made a couple of skirt patterns based on skirts I own, and to make a patchwork waistcoat I bought a cheap waistcoat in a charity shop and took it apart to give me the pattern. I am not confident enough to make a blouse pattern, but have made a tee shirt pattern. There are several online sewing shops, e.g. Jaycotts, that often have patterns on sale. For fabrics, I have had some good quality, reasonably priced things from just fabrics, who are a German company but sell through the UK with no excessive postage charges.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 05:30:03 pm »
Yep, poor choice and they are sooo expensive.

If you subscribe to prima magazine you get a free pattern each month. If you don't want  to subscribe watch out for something you would like to make and then ring this number they give to get your paper pattern. You have to pay a couple of pounds for the call but it's cheaper than buying one of the others.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 06:27:07 pm »
Just remembered, the fabric company is my fabrics not just fabrics! Memory lapse again!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 10:24:14 pm »
Funnily enough, I used to make all my own clothes, and was thinking of doing so again.  I always used to use Burda Magazine (German) patterns and I just looked and it is still published.  The magazine has lots of free patterns in it to trace out.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:43:17 pm »
I was talking to a friend last week who made all her children's and her own clothes but has signed up for a dress making class so she can learn the correct way to do things. She had to buy a pattern and some fabric and couldn't believe the cost. It would have been cheaper to buy off the peg.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 12:50:59 am »
I looked at a pattern for a denim blue type dress, apparently its the height of fashion atm. I was also wondering about sewing dresses too, but I just haven't got the time. Could you let us know how everything goes though? Would be interesting to hear
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 08:11:07 am »
Charity shops?  I know several people who have donated their parents collections of patterns to local charity shops. 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 11:56:39 pm »
Good idea.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 12:28:42 am »
Thank you for all the replies - I'm glad I'm not the only one unimpressed by current sewing patterns.  I found this:

www.dragonflyfabrics.co.uk  which appears to have a lot of independent pattern designers, but just as I was getting interested my broadband died on me.   I'll check it out later.

I don't want to use old patterns - I have drawers full of them, none of which would be appropriate now.  Then I was in my teens and twenties, fairly slim - now, well lets just say I'm not  :innocent:

I thought I would start with something simple, so I'll go for a full length circular cloak.  I've no idea when I'll wear it, but that's not the point.  I've found some ideal wool fabric (British wool of course) which won't break the bank.  It doesn't need a pattern so that will save me a tenner.  Of course I have to make several pairs of curtains first, and I haven't found the material I want for those yet.

Etsy no sorry Craftsy, does sewing courses I think, and there are so many you tube thingies to watch, so I think I'll be OK  :fc:

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:03:26 am by Fleecewife »

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 10:29:54 am »
I remember getting a book with cd from the library a couple of years ago - it had several items of clothing to make and what you did was enter your measurements into the programme and it generated a series of a4 pdfs that you joined together to make your bespoke sewing pattern. The book helped you to make up the garment etc. Im sure there must be similar software packages out  there..

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 10:41:21 am »
You could make your own pattern adjusted from a similar old one you like or shirt, dress, shatever.
Do a mock up with an old sheet, tacked so you can alter it and you can draw on alterations, darts etc.
easier if you've got a tailors dummy or helpful friend of course.

I'm sure there must be library books that show you how to make up your own basic patterns.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 12:23:31 pm »
Fleecewife, I have just discovered this website which you may find interesting.

http://www.guthrie-ghani.co.uk/about
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 08:16:46 pm »
If you're not a single standard size do have a look at the curvysewingcollective.com they have lots of advice on adapting patterns.  The US is a great source for downloadable patterns, but I haven't attempted this yet as i'm still a beginner.  Sewtinagivens.com are also more interesting.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 12:14:51 am »
Thank you Bionic and Calvadnack - I'll investigate both those sites  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS