Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cats and abortion in sheep  (Read 7152 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Cats and abortion in sheep
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 09:07:35 am »
Vaccinate your sheep, Linda.  And warn your neighbours, so that they can vaccinate theirs too, if they wish.

... and be prepared to be unpopular as they add another cost to keeping their sheep ....?

Farms have cats.  Cats have kittens.  It's life.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 09:41:38 am »
One great way to stop cats from cr@pping in your hay is to get your neighbour to spend £15K on an outdoor riding arena. The cats will then think that this is the greatest litter tray the world has ever seen, and will never soil your fields or hay again!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 05:25:26 pm »

Farms have cats.  Cats have kittens.  It's life.

We didn't replace our cats when they died of old age and now  have well baited feed stores, no toxo and lots of wild birds - 17 nest sites within 10 metres of the farmhouse last year.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 11:56:18 am »

So, a while ago, I wrote:

Does anybody know if there is a way of testing prospective cats to make sure they have already been exposed (and hence have immunity)?

I've now found out a bit more. Yes there is indeed a test, but it costs £95 (or £120 to include Felv and FIV feline immunodeficiency tests as well).

So that's quite a dilemma. Say we went to a shelter and found a new adult cat, there's every chance it will already have been exposed to toxoplasma and will hence now not be shedding occysts, so therefore will pose no threat to the sheep.  However, is it really worth a hundred quid to find that out? I really don't know  :-\.

Maybe we could keep it indoors for six months and force feed it field voles?  :)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 03:18:32 pm »

Feral kitten solved my dilemma by turning up and insisting on moving in .... and no I wont be warning my neighbour ... came from the feral in his shed anyway!!!

Cats don't have to have kittens ... get them done!! 

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 03:47:37 pm »
I'm sure the vaccine didn't cost that much - £90 maybe - can't remember how many sheep that covered, but if you've a small flock then that might address the issue.  Only vaccinate the younger sheep, and enjoy the new kittens!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 07:44:22 pm »
Our vet recommended getting only adult cats - neutered of course - and not worrying about it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 09:13:28 am »
A study carried out in 997 estimated that the UK cat population of approximately 9 million felines brought home in the period 1 April to 31 August that year 95 million prey animals and birds, including 57 million mammals, 27 million birds and 5 million reptiles and amphibians.  Funny how only the farming community continues to be blamed for declining numbers in all species ......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS