Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat scanning today  (Read 2338 times)

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Goat scanning today
« on: January 13, 2016, 04:36:54 pm »
That's the goat's scanned today, normally they usually have twins but this year Twink in kid to Cylvan has 2, Sparkle in kid to Aloysius has 1, Tiggy in kid to Aloyisius has 2 and Star in kid to Schwartz has 3.
Twink (twins) and Star(triplets) sponged as none were coming into season (once they came into season that started the rest off) did not use pmsg so goes to show they don't need it in breeding season.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goat scanning today
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 05:18:03 pm »
I have started to sponge regularly now to group kiddings (can't be faffing around for weeks with "will she or won't she kid tonight...), not used PMSG except for AI. Always worked well so far.

I neeed to get some scanning organised, but for next year... this year's AI batch due to kid in three weeks...

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 06:11:45 pm »
I'm so glad my boy has done his job  ;D

Which scanner did you use?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 07:58:11 pm »
Scanner was W Ingram Logie Durno Sheep, very accurate and fast, 164 ewes and 4 goats done in about an hour including setting up his trailer and cleaning and dismantling it.
 Goats were not amused rudely disturbing their mid morning hay eating, been dragged out of their shed up to the polytunnel put up the sheep race onto the scanners trailer Sparkle was prancing like a pony!  Twink was reluctant to go up the race. All were fine though might of been easier if we did the goats after we untied his trailer to the sheep race would have saved trying to persuade Twink to go up the sheep race.
Also my daughters little ryeland has scanned a single lamb which is just as well, being a first timer. It was being cheeky wanting to go first.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 08:13:58 pm »
I'm so glad my boy has done his job  ;D

Mandy going to be a granny then....

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 08:16:21 pm »

Mandy going to be a granny then....

Indeed - half of TAS is going to be interested in these births  ;D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS