Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg eaters in my flock?  (Read 5238 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: Egg eaters in my flock?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 02:18:00 pm »
Just a quick up date on how we have managed the egg eating problem. We have found that the problem only happens if the culprit can get back to the nesting boxes on her own. Now we do not let any of the hens out of the immediate confines of the run until they have all laid and we have collected the eggs - and only then open the gate so they can range freely over the paddocks . With the other hens present in the run the pecking has stopped.
I have watched this over the last few months and it is consistent behaviour.
It can only work as a system when all of the hens are laying everyday and I know that I have got them all of course but thought I would post in case it is of interest to anyone.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 03:05:41 pm »
definitely interested in this as I have the same problem. 4 eggs spoiled yesterday and 1 today. As soon as I hear one of them making a noise I'm off out there to get the eggs but if you have to go out then they get them first.

Does anyone have a coop with a sort of drop box for eggs?

I am trying to decide if this would work. How do they collect the eggs at a commercial place?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 03:52:45 pm »
A conveyor belt takes them away after they are laid.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 04:10:35 pm »
A conveyor belt takes them away after they are laid.

Thanks Annie, not sure I am up to attaching a conveyor belt for 5 eggs a day though :-(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 05:08:57 pm »
I'm wondering if I can get my son to devise a method of raising the nesting box and having a chute down to a box below to catch the eggs.  Should save the rats getting them too
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 05:14:00 pm »
You can get rollaway inserts etc for nestboxes, for example here on ebay. Our hens wouldn't know what to do with a nestbox though, so it's not going to work for us!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 06:52:49 pm »
That rollaway insert looks good Womble. I will speak to OH (my designer) to see if he could fit it.

thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS