Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg eaters in my flock?  (Read 5249 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Egg eaters in my flock?
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:01:06 pm »
Hmm. I think one of the hens has discovered she can eat egg. Since last week we have found four pecked, and today one eaten. The hen run is open all day so i guess a visitor could come in but is that likely?
How do I tell which one (s) are responsible. Does it signify any deficiency in what we are feeding them with and is there anything I can do to discourage this. Will i have to cull culprit(s) ????

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Egg eaters in my flock?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:31:29 pm »
Hi,
I found that if you fill an egg with wet mustard it puts them off - remove the original contents of the egg and ensuring that it still looks egg like when it is filled with mustard put it back where you have found them eaten.- its finding out which one is responsible as once one starts they can all join in.
Hopefully i will be as good a solution as it has been for us.
Minty

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 06:36:35 pm »
Thank you.

dr241000

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Saxmundham, Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:15:56 pm »
sometimes the egg eater will have dried yolk on its beak so look out for signs of this.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:05:05 pm »
Will look. Thanks dr p

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 10:15:32 pm »
It could also be crows although I suspect they don't like mustard either.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 05:07:12 pm »
Crows tend to fly off with the eggs and eat them somewhere else at their leisure.  Can you isolate each hen in turn, somewhere they can see and be seen by the others so there's no pecking order stuff when you reintroduce them?   I've had a few egg eaters in the past and found they have a very short memory with regard to mustard eggs, so have always ended up culling them.

tommy tucker

• Joined Jan 2016
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 05:45:24 pm »
I've had this a few times and never found out who the culprit is. I put a few golf balls in the nesting boxes and check/collect the eggs as often as possible for a couple of days. The pecking at eggs soon stops. Works for me!!! Good luck.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 07:06:25 pm »
I have found the culprit! I will try all methods to disuade her first!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 05:50:14 pm »
I think they sometimes can do this through boredom.  Make sure you are giving them enough variety in their food - personally I never feed pellets, just grain (they never get fat by the way) and add some black sunflower seeds from your merchant, they love those, never white bread but brown as a treat only is fine (or they will become constipated) and corn on the cob (uncooked).  Give them non eating things to scratch about at and jump around - branches, bits of wood, biggish stones etc. make it fun.  They only have a short life and they're nice wee things.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 09:02:13 pm »
Thanks goosepimple. They are out all day light hours in about 2 acres of garden, paddock and dense bushes  - so lots to do - but one comes in for a nibble of egg when she can. A suggestion has been made that in addition to the oyster shell that is available I should dry used their egg shells from the kitchen and grind them into a fine egg shell grit and make this available. Do other people do this?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 05:56:39 pm »
Someone once tipped that you should put any shells from eggs you use in the kitchen into a baking tin and occasionally put them in the oven when you are baking something else - they only need a bit of drying out and then you can smash them up easily.  They are good grit - they don't have to be to a powder, just normal grit size (like broken seashells).

I think a previous poster's idea of mustard might work well.  She's got character you might say - there are plenty of chicken owners on here that would just throttle her for doing it, so nice if you can give her a chance - we all like a treat!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 06:24:04 pm »
I've tried mustard and mustard + chilli powder and it made no difference.  Trouble is once they get the taste for eggs they'll hang about the nest box for another hen to lay or come over when they hear one cackling. 

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 05:21:22 pm »
Sometimes its a protein deficiency as they start to come into full lay after the winter rest.  The old cure was lots of eggshells from the bakers or spoilt eggs from the incubators.  I guess thats not allowed now.  I have cured an egg eater with milk. 

A way to test for who is the egg eater is to place an egg in full daylight and see if one of the hens approaches and pecks it.  In which case she is the culprit.  Once one has pecked it all the others will join in to finish it off though, as it is natural for a bird to eat a broken egg because it would keep the nest clean.

Once you are certain of the culprit you can isolate her and give her extra protein, limestone powder and vitamin d (cod liver oil)  Also the offer of a blown egg filled with Ecover or similar washing up liquid can do the trick.[/size][size=78%] [/size]

Sometimes what ever you do it is a confirmed vice and cannot be cured, but often it can and this time of the year when shell are thinner is the worst time for egg eating.  Of course check its not other vermin. 
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 06:36:01 pm »
 thanks DBE. I am fairly sure I have one culprit and will try as you suggest with her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS