Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs in Scotland  (Read 2424 times)

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Pigs in Scotland
« on: January 12, 2016, 05:21:11 pm »
Hi, We are planning on adding pigs to the smallholding but are running into difficulty getting advice on registration and movements.

We have a CPH and flock number for sheep.  The previous owners recorded pig in the same register as the sheep and used the same flock number.  I understand that we need a separate register and herd number for the pigs so we have rung the Dumfries Agricultural Food & Rural Communities Directorate who helped us with the sheeo & CPH.  They have told us to contact Trading Standards as they now deal with pigs.

We contacted Trading Standards who have told us to contact the State Veterinary Animal and Plant Health Agency.  They guy suggested that we might also wish to contact the Feed Hygiene Regulator.

Does anyone know id this sounds correct or should we follow the lead of the previous owners and just use the sheep flock number which seems to have done okay for them?

Thanks,
Mickey

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Pigs in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 05:50:47 pm »
You need a flock number for your sheep and a herd number for your pigs. Your herd number will be needed for the electronic movement system run through BPEX and you should register on this once you have the number to make life easier when you buy pigs. Your herd number will also go on your tags, which your pigs will need when they go off to slaughter.

I am not in Scotland but I am sure someone will come along soon with the phone number you need to ring to get your flock and herd numbers.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 05:53:42 pm »
CPH number is fine but you need a pig herd number from APHA.

Pig movements are done on ScotEID, so you'll have to register for that. Start here https://www.scoteid.com/scoteid/pig_guidance

I can't commenton what the previous owners did  :(

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 06:16:28 pm »
A pig herd number is 2 letters and 4 numbers, a sheep flock number is 6 numbers.
You won't be able to register on scoteid until you have the correct herd number.
Call apha and they will issue your pig herd number and information on keeping pigs, they should also be informed if you are keeping sheep.
They will send you information on pigs including welfare requirements and not feeding food from the kitchen as well as information on important diseases.
Then you can register with scoteid for movements, and keep a note in your own holding register. I keep a page for sheep, a page for goats and a page for pigs as easier to keep them separate.

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 07:14:40 pm »
Thanks Guys,
Brilliant help, we'll ring Alpha.  Re: the previous owners, I am sure they acted the way they were told, perhaps things have changed recently but Trading Standards did mention that we may be told to register all the animals in the same register which I thought may be wrong but ties in with the holding register passed onto us. 

Looks like the pigs may be on their way soon (after I have sorted out the fencing of course!)

Thanks again,
Mickey

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 06:58:50 pm »
Just being nosy: where in D&G are you and what breed of pigs?

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 02:29:30 pm »
HI,
We are just outside Castle Douglas, the wife wants to get Mangalitza pigs as pets but alongside that I ill be adding something for the freezer, not sure exactly what as yet though. 

We have now sorted the herd number business out, the point of contact turned out to be animalhealth in Ayr who were very helpful on the phone and followed that up with paperwork and an advisory booklet. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS