Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed, please......what next  (Read 6288 times)

Wen3

• Joined Aug 2015
Advice needed, please......what next
« on: January 12, 2016, 12:02:31 pm »
Hi
We moved into our smallholding in October 2015, it already has a CPH number. My questions are below and any help would be great, sorry if they are stupid questions. We have no livestock on the holding at the moment.
1. Do we need to tell defra the CPH has changed hands?
2. Do we have to get new herd numbers for the livestock or do we keep what they had on the holding before?
3. What paperwork do we need to get pigs onto the holding now?

Thanks in advance and be gentle ????

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Advice needed, please......what next
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 12:29:41 pm »
1. Yes.
2. Yes, I think so.
3. A movement record in the new online system - again they will provide all the info and a login for you. :)

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 04:37:16 pm »
In Scotland we spoke to the Local Authority, they transferred the CPH to us and we  kept the same flock number as the previous owners, apparently the flock number related to the CPH number. That's for our sheep, for our pigs we are waiting on a call back from Trading Standards as apparently up here they took over pigs a couple of years back.

HTH,
Mickey

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 04:54:24 pm »
1 yes
2 yes. Flock numbers are specific to you rather than cph which is specific to the address
3 b pex

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 05:13:41 pm »
1 yes
2 yes. Flock numbers are specific to you rather than cph which is specific to the address
3 b pex

I'm getting confused now (not difficult), the advice we were given was that flock/herd numbers relate to the CPH not the individual.  Looking at the gov.uk site also suggests this as it states ... The flock or herd mark makes it easy to trace the holdings the livestock have been moved from.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 05:19:15 pm »
1 yes
3 b pex

I'm getting confused now (not difficult), the advice we were given was that flock/herd numbers relate to the CPH not the individual.  Looking at the gov.uk site also suggests this as it states ... The flock or herd mark makes it easy to trace the holdings the livestock have been moved from.

In England, if the land hasnt been used for livestock for a number of years then the numbers become redundant and you have to get new ones.

My advice would be to ring the local animal health office, they'll direct you as needed.

Wen3

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 05:38:37 pm »
Called re the CPH number and was told they will send one out I explained I thought the number went with the land and we had one and she told me no it was to the individual not the land and as I personally had never had one they would send it out.......very confused now (doesn't take a lot) so we will wait and see.

Thanks for your replies I appreciate it.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 06:01:29 pm »
In Scotland the CPH goes with the land - that makes sense since it is a County Parish Holding number. If a holding is broken up, one part will get a new CPH.

Sellers should notify RPID of any changes to land ownership etc https://www.ruralpayments.org/publicsite/futures/topics/your-business/land-registration/ but I'm not sure they do. The folk we bought from didn't.

Herd / flock numbers are associated with the keeper and / or the land - I have three sheep flock numbers because I have two linked areas of temporary grazing as well as home. Lambs have to be tagged with the flock no of the holding on which they are born (we bring all ewes home to lamb thankfully). However, with the cattle, we only have one herd number, although we have linked temporary grazing for them too. Any calves born in our cattle herd, regardless of where they are born, are tagged with the same herd no.

Confused yet?

Wen3

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 06:28:38 pm »
Oh I am so confused you wouldn't believe lol. I then asked if she could send me some information and she just bombarded me with phone number and abbreviations. I thought I had been quite thorough with my investigations but she really threw me saying it wasn't on the land. I will give it a few days and call again I think. She also told me I couldn't talk to the people who actually gave out the CPH numbers as they didn't talk to the public!! Maybe I was just lucky and got a newbie ha ha .

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 07:54:25 pm »
I take it you aren't in Scotland? ScotGov Rural Payments have a new website and I think it's pretty helpful https://www.ruralpayments.org/publicsite/futures/topics/your-business/new-to-farming/

I've also found the guys at our RPID office to be helpful too  :thumbsup:

Wen3

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 09:23:44 pm »
Thank you Rosemary, we are not in Scotland but Suffolk.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 09:21:04 am »
I am in Wales and found that Animal Health were very helpful.
They gave me a new CPH number and a herd no for the pigs. It also seems that, here at least, you need the herd no before you get your pigs but you can get sheep and then apply for a flock number.

Seems a bit strange but that's what happened to me anyway.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 09:31:21 am »
Wen,

dont worry. The important thing is that you are being assigned a CPH number. It's up to them wether they feel you need a new one or inherit an existing one. Once you have one then you can move on to the herd and flock numbers. My smallholding was once a pig farm and a poultry farm so will have had numbers but when I phoned up I was issued with new computer generated numbers as my details were submitted to the data base.

The best thing to do is just to phone them and ask as you have done.

Happy smallholding :thumbsup:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 10:23:08 am »
I am in Wales and found that Animal Health were very helpful.
They gave me a new CPH number and a herd no for the pigs. It also seems that, here at least, you need the herd no before you get your pigs but you can get sheep and then apply for a flock number.

Seems a bit strange but that's what happened to me anyway.

I note Animal Health seems to have become the Animal and Plant Health Agency. Or were they that before? Maybe we are never meant to fully know these things.

I think that if you have a herd number before you get your pigs then you can complete the bpex registration in full and be in the system for your first move on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS