Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Captive bolt stunners  (Read 6266 times)

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
Captive bolt stunners
« on: January 11, 2016, 06:41:08 pm »
I am looking into buying  captive bolt stunner for doing our pigs and lambs.
I have had the use of one and the use of a rifle in  the past for doing the deed but I cant always rely on this so I think its time to buy one.
The cash make seem to be a bit to expensive for me and there seems to be another 2 cheaper ones for sale in the uk for £200 to £250 has anyone got any of these ? if so what do you think of them ?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:49:11 pm by Dundonald hens »

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Captive bolt stunners
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 12:45:12 am »
Do need a police permit to hold one and get the blanks for it ?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:38:05 am »
You do not need a FAC these days for captive bolt stunners.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:53:53 am »
Sorry not helpful at all, but I was rather amused that the ad showing below your post was "Basset Hound Owner? How to make your Basset Hound Happy, Healthy and Obedient"   So that's what captive bolts are for  :roflanim:
Sorry!
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:42:38 am »
Can I suggest that you give your local fallen stock company a call. Mine are so helpful and happy to discuss whats best to use and where and how to do it. They are also very knowledgable about different animals skulls and how they thicken with age.

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 08:44:48 am »
Thank god its nit hounds we have lol
You do need need a fire arms cert and you can readly buy the blanks.
There seems to be 3 sizes of blank .22 , 9mm and .35 so I have went in ter middle 9mm .
I asked out local fallen stock guy he usealy gives me a loan of hos his only advice was make sure the blanks i use are strong enough to ask the companys what they recomend.
Also there is a guy thats into scots greys a few vilages away that has the type iv order and recomends it as well so hopefully it will be here today or tomorow

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 04:59:54 pm »

You do need need a fire arms cert and you can readly buy the blanks.

Captive Bolt Stunners were de-classified from their 'section 1' firearms status in February 1998. This means that a firearms permit is no longer required for purchase, possession or use.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 10:02:02 am »
Dundonald,

do you have a licence to slaughter for your own consumption then? And do you dispose of your waste (bones, skin, pluck etc )through the fallen stock collection? What do you do with the blood?

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 06:37:53 pm »
Buffy,
         I am in scotland, here you do not need a licence to slaughter your own stock.
I do dispose of everything we do not use by means of a animal bi product company.
The blood goes in our black pudding, the bones we use for stock the dogs get some and what's left as I said is properly disposed of.
We do not sell or trade anything we make loads of sausages, bacon salami etc
We have a chest freezer in the shed, a under counter in the kitchen and an american fridge freezer.
why do you ask buffy ?

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 10:49:37 am »
Just really interested in it. :)

Welfare is really important to me and as much as aim to keep placid animals that are well handled and live in a stress free environment I feel the weak link in producing my own pork and lamb is the experience at the abattoir.

I use a 4th generation, local one that handles small numbers and wont do halal and opens their doors to regular EBLEX tours so they are probably as high welfare as you can get but I think that home dispatch would ensure that my animals were not exposed to the stress of commercial slaughter.

I understand from what I have read that I would need a licence and couldnt sell the meat if I dispatched at home which is part of what stops me. The other part I guess is not being sure about the whole process of bleeding, hanging, disposing of the waste etc so its great to find out more from someone who does it really.

The blood question was because in this country blood from abattoirs  isnt available to the food chain so the local, home grown feel of black pudding produced in Yorkshire for example is undermined by the fact that they all use dried blood imported from spain  ::)

Your black pudding would be the real deal as well as making use of the pigs blood. Do you use the lambs blood in it too? Blood does of course make great fertilizer but I'm guessing that there are rules about splashing it over your hanging baskets. ;) [size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]  [/size][/size]What about the sheep skins? By disposing of the waste via an animal bi product company do you place it in a special bin for regular collection or phone us as and when you need it?  [size=78%]

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 02:32:42 pm »
Buffy, the abattoir I use willingly gives me back the blood of my animals as long as I take a small fermenting bin and wait around for it.
Also a licence from trading standards for having your skins back costs nothing and you can buy the curing products on-line.
I, too, would rather "do" my animals at home but I haven't got the facilities for hanging, butchering (or the skill for that!) etc. Though I am working on ways around this.
You would though not be able to sell your meat and it could only be used by immediate family unless you were licenced as an abattoir with all the facilities needed.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 10:45:34 pm »
http://entwistleguns.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=62_159

This is the one I use. They're always very quick to send out any spares/blanks.

I would recommend a quick read of the humane slaughter guides as a refresher before you use it
http://www.hsa.org.uk/publications/online-guides

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS