Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heavy breathing - pregant goat  (Read 4694 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Heavy breathing - pregant goat
« on: January 11, 2016, 10:46:40 am »
Hello all,

I have an in kid goat due on the 1st of April. She seems fine in many ways, eating hay, oats, barley and a bit of concentrate etc..

But she seems to be breathing quite fast. She looks massive and a bit miserable, she has a very wet nose and weeping eyes.

Should I be worried that this could be the start of something serious e.g  Pneumonia? We've had a lot of wet cold horrible weather here and they currently live in a horse field shelter with mud flooring. They do have rubber matting and plenty of straw, their beds are dry and they are out of any draughts.

We add seaweed to their feed and they have red rockies licks. Should I be giving them anything extra vitamins wise?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Heavy breathing - pregant goat
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:06:19 am »
Have you taken her temperature? Weeping eyes doesn't sound good. Is she eating and pooing okay?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:11:26 am »
She is eating and pooing ok and her temperature is normal. I was wondering if she is carrying some big kids and that is putting pressure on her lungs!? Not sure if that's possible....

She certainly seems a bit low spirited, maybe its just the horrible weather and she has a bit of a cold. Would it be wise to get some Caprivite or similar?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:24:03 am »
Youve posted while i was typing but ill post anyway -
Is there any way you could bring her inside, she has a fair time to go and she can't carry on if she's not well, if she is having to haul herself through mud it won't be helping. Maybe a closed area, still with fresh air of course.
I feed Caprivite,  esp during winter.
How much concentrate are you feeding? She shouldn't be that big yet, you shouldn't be feeding much until about 6 or 8 weeks before kidding.
Are you feeding haylage? I've noticed mine look more pot bellied since we've gone onto haylage. Reading on a website there is more feed value in haylage so mine are getting very little concentrate, when its cold they get warm soaked sugar beet, but get chopped carrots, Brussels and cabbage.
You say wet nose, do you mean 'runny' nose?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:24:19 pm »
I wouldn't expect her to be that big with kids if she isn't due until April.

Oats and barley and concentrate may add up to quite a lot of calories.

I would give her an injection of Combivit and monitor her closely.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 12:45:38 pm »
Ok, thank you for the advice.

I will move her and her pal into a concrete floored stable and cut the concentrate. I will let them out on dry days (should we ever see one of those again) I was just giving her about 100g a day with a cup of oats and a cup of rolled barley but perhaps this is too much!

They are on  regular hay rather than haylage. I will order some caprivite and try soaking some sugar beet.

Thank goodness for you lovely  Accidental Smallholders!

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 12:46:50 pm »
Has she been vaccinated for pasturella? I would get her checked by vet.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 01:10:14 pm »
She isn't! I only lambivac them every 6 months. IS there a recommended product to use against pasteurella?

I will ring the vet and ask them what they think too.

Thanks

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 01:37:13 pm »
I used to vaccinate with heptivac p and had no problems and through vet advice for goats I now do the same vaccinate with lambivac every 6 months, but I have had problems with runny noses goat just not right paricularly in spring and requiring treatment, since using lambivac only and on vet advice  as we  have pasturella on our holding we now vaccinate for pasturella annually and lambivac 6 monthly.
Vet reccommend along with goat veterinary society to do separate vaccine for the goats (rather than combined ovivacp /heptivac p) for pasturella - pastubov, you can also use ovipast - initial dose is just like the lambivac 2 doses 4-6 weeks apart then annual booster for pasturella. It can be given at the same time as lambivac but at a seperate injection site Although I prefer to give it at a separate injection site a fortnight later as it says on packet.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 02:25:20 pm »
Tbh, if she is not herself and with the symptom you describe I would get the vet out and ask him for some AB's (maybe Duphraval), as she does sound like Pneumonia.... plus Combivit as CDC says. And get the vet t listen to her chest!

Is there any chance she is due earlier than 1st April? You shouldn't really see anything yet if only due in 10 weeks or so.... 1st kidder or older goat?

I do Ovipast as Talana says, Lambivac every 4 months or so as I have had a problem in the past when only doing twice per year.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 02:58:42 pm »
I don't keep goats but have had a couple of pregnant ewes with pneumonia in the last fortnight (never happened before) even though they're fully vaccinated.  I got them in the shed, with a companion, gave them a/bs and got some Metacam from the vet for the worst one.  She wasn't interested in eating for a couple of days so we gave her a 1:8 drench of diluted Lifeline three times a day to keep her going.  Both are now fine but I think the weather has been so awful since Christmas we're lucky to have got away with just two.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 03:28:21 pm »
Had a chat with the vet and he said that as her nose was running clear rather than green and because her breathing is 'raspy' or uncomfortable sounding she probably has a cold and I should move her indoors and give her a some vitamins. He also recommended ovipast.
Thankfully she does seem a bit better this afternoon. Her breathing has slown down considerably and she seems a bit more 'perky'. I know when I have a cold I feel worse in the morning when I get out of bed....

He said to keep a close eye on her and if she gets worse to ring again and someone will come out.

She only went to the billy once at the beginning of November so unless some sneaky neighbouring goat got in with her she should be due end of March beginning of April. She is about four years ods and this is her second kidding. She had a very large boy last time.

Fingers crossed a bit of TLC will do the trick but I will call the vet if she gets even a tiny bit worse!

Thanks so much for all the advice

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 08:02:43 pm »
Pneumonia was my first thought too having lost one last week to it but fingers crossed you have it sorted and she's feeling better  :fc:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 02:50:40 pm »
How is your girl today?

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 08:43:03 pm »
Hi all. Thanks for asking Anke. She seems better today, still happy to gobble her food and up and about.
Her breathing seems to have calmed down too. Not sure why! I watched her for a while today and she just stared back at me as if to say 'what the hell are you looking at'. I'm taking this as a good sign.

I'm beginning to think I was worrying over nothing! How embarrassing..... just a bad cold. On the plus side I'm now thinking she is a bit of a fatty and I will adjust her food accordingly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS