Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: £50+ million on the lotto - anyone playing?  (Read 8973 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: £50+ million on the lotto - anyone playing?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 05:06:24 pm »
Who needs money when you have a spotty goat  :love: :goat: :love:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 05:58:38 pm »
 ;D

Have you ever heard of the Monty Hall Problem Clydesdaleclopper?

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 08:34:50 pm »
;D

Have you ever heard of the Monty Hall Problem Clydesdaleclopper?

When I went in for surgery on my hand a few months ago they had to cut off my wedding ring as it wouldn't come off over the scar tissue on my finger. As my hand was injured by one of the goats I commented that my husband would be pretty hacked off with the goat causing me to lose my wedding ring. One of the medics piped up "but you could get a new one". They all fell about with laughter when I replied "a new goat - fantastic" - he had meant a new ring.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 12:04:06 am »
Who needs money when you have a spotty goat  :love: :goat: :love:

Or any other goat, come to that. :goat: :goat:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 12:23:49 am »
Depends whether you want more goats / bigger, posher goats house, more land for more goats, diamond studded collars, personal design of none waste hay racks,  which of course you wouldn't really need because you could afford lots of hay, but then if you perfected the design, you would make more millions  ;D

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 09:16:03 am »
Depends whether you want more goats / bigger, posher goats house, more land for more goats, diamond studded collars, personal design of none waste hay racks,  which of course you wouldn't really need because you could afford lots of hay, but then if you perfected the design, you would make more millions  ;D

A t which point it's probably a good time to bring ot the parapble of the Mexican fisherman:

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. 

Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna.  The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos.  I have a full and busy life.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.
The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part.  When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire.  Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 10:46:55 am »
If I won I'd buy this farm off Bazz,  next doors and the land next to that, a new horsebox, Harry spankers tractor hor his lordship.  Most importantly I would create a new generation of youth centres and a legion of dignity nurses to help at our hospitals.   We can all dream, costs nowt.    :thumbsup:

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Re: £50+ million on the lotto - anyone playin
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 01:51:21 pm »
It's interesting that masses of people decide to buy a lottery ticket when there is a big jackpot to be won. "Three million? I couldn't be arsed. I'm in it for the big money".

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 02:03:12 pm »
If I won I'd buy this farm off Bazz,  next doors and the land next to that, a new horsebox, Harry spankers tractor hor his lordship.  Most importantly I would create a new generation of youth centres and a legion of dignity nurses to help at our hospitals.   We can all dream, costs nowt.    :thumbsup:

I'd love to buy the neighbours out and stop all their riff-raff visitors and tenants speeding up and down our track.
But first I'd have to buy a ticket.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: £50+ million on the lotto - anyone playin
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 03:14:00 pm »
It's interesting that masses of people decide to buy a lottery ticket when there is a big jackpot to be won. "Three million? I couldn't be arsed. I'm in it for the big money".

And yet I think the lower the jackpot the higher chance you have of winning?!
I'd be perfectly happy with £300k :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 11:39:05 pm »
I've never done the lottery and never will but if I did and won, all I would want would be enough to pay off our mortgage and get a bit done to the house, buy the four children a house each and that's about it. A million would be ample for that. And none of that would give me my health back.

The reason I don't do it is not because I know I don't stand a chance of winning but because I know how badly charities have been affected by the lottery. My brother used to work for Charities Aid Foundation who do a lot of work for smaller charities and told me that every charity has had fewer donations. I don't consider it charity to pay for subsidised theatre tickets for people who can afford £50 a ticket but don't want to have to pay more which is one of the 'good causes' paid for out of the lottery funds. I know some charities have benefited - our local Samaritans received a grant enabling the doing up of their centre to make it more workable - but over all, they are worse off.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS