Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gardening by the moon  (Read 3103 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Gardening by the moon
« on: January 06, 2016, 07:54:09 pm »
Kitchen Garden mag Feb 2016 has a long article on growing by the moon.  I've never tried it and doubt I ever will (too many other controllers on planting times, such as frost, rain and time), but it does interest me.
Does anyone on TAS use these principles, or all of biodynamic growing?  What is your reasoning? Do you think it 'works'?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Gardening by the moon
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 08:05:26 pm »
I certainly try to plant by the moon but I don't harvest by the moon as I pick stuff when I need it. I don't know if it really works but I figure it is unlikely to do any harm and I can normally fit in my planting around the right times.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 09:05:54 am »
Farmers in Tuscany plant and harvest by the moon. However in recent years it has been quite unpredictable, maybe due to climate  change becoming more of a problem. Not sure what it would be like in this country. The old farmers over in Italy have farmed by the moon and sun for generations, it seems a shame that its not as consistent as it used to be.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:34:25 am »
All stock was done that way there weren't no lights just the moon and the season. Some farmers would no the time and the month just by looking at the wildlife.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 10:22:06 am »
Sowing and planting by the moon, yes! But, I can't see the point of harvesting by the moon, when your crop is ready nothing will alter that.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 11:01:19 am »
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:02:59 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 06:07:25 pm »
Seems common here in France as all garden centres sell calendars an
D books re planting by moon. We are advised by our 87 year neighbour when to plant by moon and crops seem to do ok. But difficult to say if they do better has we have no control or comparator. Climate is the main issue as last year's drought wrecked the potatoe crop and other yields were down too.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 07:07:28 pm »
I don't have any references for this, but I seem to remember reading about some trials of a few crops planted either 2-3 weeks before the correct moon phase, vs, some planted in the correct phase. The results were the same.
BUT they had expected those planted sooner to also sprout 2-3 weeks sooner, and to appear larger, at least at first, but instead, the early planted seeds did nothing until the correct moon phase.
Sorry I can't remember the reference for this.

I think there's something in it; if one has the time to be picky   ;)

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 10:49:46 am »
Smallholder this month Helen Babbs takes another look at growing your own guided by the moon.

As a fairly conventional smallholder, I had never given gardening by the moon much thought, considering it a little too alternative. Until, that is, the day a friend who runs a successful small farm calmly mentioned she would be planting her beetroot that week, because the moon was waxing. She is not, "too alternative," nor was there any doubt that her beetroot does much better than mine, even with the similar soil, methods, and even when growing the same cultivars.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS