Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recommendations for the best book for beginners  (Read 3309 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Recommendations for the best book for beginners
« on: January 05, 2016, 05:32:05 pm »
Because all I read is over my head!! Need instructions, pictures and recommendations without it sounding obvious - because its not to me!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Recommendations for the best book for beginners
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 05:48:37 pm »
OH likes Ted Hooper Guide to Bees and Honey but it isn't particularly easy to read. Alternative is Haynes Bee Guide
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 08:20:48 pm »
Ted Hooper is definately not an easy read. Beekeeping for Dummies is a bit 'american' but easy enough. To be honest though a good mentor and association will cover most things you need to know.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 09:19:23 pm »
I started with Ted hooper. Its a good book if you have some knowledge.  I found the Haynes manual far better a better practical starter

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:25:01 pm »
I find the Haynes manual very readable as a beginner. Although I agree that the best thing is a friendly local association - my local beekeeper can be tempted out by cake  ;D

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 08:49:34 am »
As a beginner I'm finding this really useful:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/books/bbka-guide-to-beekeeping/

There are a few more listed here:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/books/category/bees/

I read the Green Guide Series book last year and it's also good for beginners.

HTH.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 11:06:51 am »
The best way to learn is by practical experience......join a local beekeeping club/society and hopefully they will be able to put you under the wing of an experienced beekeeper to show you the 'ropes', give you guidance and practical tuition. Have a look at the BBKA website for an affiliated club near you. Affiliated clubs can also help you through the BBKA beekeeping exams for the Preliminary, Intermediate and Advanced certificates of proficiency in Apiculture should you wish to.
The only trouble with books no matter how good they are.....the bees havn't read them and don't always follow the rules but happily do their own thing!
Good luck, beekeeping is a fascinating hobby/business where you never cease learning.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 12:39:23 am »
If you can latch onto the shirt tails of someone who currently has a dozen or more over wintering hives you'll usually be on a winner for they  have so much more experience of what works well every year .
My first BBKA keeper mentor was still using witchcraft and stone age ideas for his single hive.
The second mentor had that many different hive styles ,he never had sufficient parts to put a single have style together properly ... that caused him no end of problems .

Luckily I was taken on by a guy who had over 20 hives and 18 yrs of experience .  He was selling several tonnes of honey a year plus all the side products .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

wheresthedog

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 07:23:44 am »
Beekeeping a practical guide by Roger Patterson is a book i'd recommend for a beginner (this is my first year beekeeping)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS