Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Holders for salt lick?  (Read 7587 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Holders for salt lick?
« on: December 21, 2015, 07:23:09 pm »
Recently I've hung up Rockies Zinc blocks to help our sheeps' feet, and they seem to be working. However, although the blurb says they're unaffected by rain, the reality is that they're dissolving in the wet at quite a rate. Also, they kill the grass underneath!

(Mind you, the blurb also suggests that you can smilingly turn your back on a heilan' coo and get away with it, so what do they know?  ;D) The blocks are far too expensive to waste like this, so I need to find a way of keeping them out of the rain, but ensuring that the sheep can still get to them. Commercial holders are available, but I haven't found a design yet that weatherproofs them as well.

We have the same problem with licky buckets, which just fill with rainwater and turn into expensive sludge.

I'm sure I'll come up with something, but before I reinvent the wheel, have you already come up with a great idea that you'd be willing to share? :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: Holders for salt lick?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 07:34:06 pm »
I've been wondering about the same!
The blocks seems to be holding up OK in 'normal' rain, but the extended torrential downpours we have been getting every other day for the last 6 weeks are certainly melting them down...
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 08:17:09 pm »
yes I've noticed the same thing - I think they may be fine is home-counties rain but not welsh rain. I have small sheep shelters with tin roofs and I hang my licks under the roof.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 08:22:20 pm »
One of those big blue barrels with a hole cut in the side for the sheep to stick their heads through. Weight it down around the lick with some stones inside the barrel or use a bungee cord to hold it to the fence.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 09:22:41 am »
I put lick bucket lids back on overnight, to deter badgers.  This limits the sheep's ability to benefit but also cuts the exposure to the elements by two thirds at this time of year!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 11:19:20 am »
I put salt blocks in an old supalyx tub with some drainage holes drilled around the bottom, then you can put the lid on in very heavy rain or move it about so it's under a tree.

With feed buckets (crystalyx etc) I find that if they are filling up with rain water then you either don't have enough sheep or they don't need it.  If they need it then they will be drinking the sugary water and keeping the top clear of debris etc :) .  (I'm in Wales an we have a lot of rain - not sure if we've had a day without rain for a three months now? ...and my licky bucket is always free of rain water)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:58:00 pm by Foobar »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 12:07:03 pm »
Thanks for the comments everybody!  :thumbsup:

With feed buckets (crystalyx etc) I find that if they are filling up with rain water then you either don't have enough sheep or they don't need it.  If they need it then they will be drinking the sugary water and keeping the top clear of debris etc :).  (I'm in Wales an we have a lot of rain - not sure if we've had a day without rain for a three months now? ...and my licky bucket is always free of rain water)

Foobar, I also find this if I put out the red molassessed licky buckets, but with the black ones that are just minerals, they get through it much slower. They do still take it though, which means I would like to make sure it's offered, particularly since I think our recent hoof problems have been related to a mineral deficiency.

Still, I like your diagnosis of "you don't have enough sheep". I'll have to try that out on Mrs Womble  ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 11:48:37 am »
OK, here's Mark 1:

It's not as sturdy as I'd like, and doesn't even completely cover the block. However, it was quick and easy to make, and the sheep seem to like it!

Any ideas for improvements gratefully received!  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 11:51:08 am »
Holder looks great  :thumbsup:

I am assuming that's not a Red Rockies, is it?  It looks like mine, which are not the ones for sheep; it's yellow for sheep.  I'm sure it's not, but couldn't not say, just in case.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 11:54:37 am »
Don't worry Sally, it's one of these:
Zinc Rich Rockies are suitable for all stock. They contain an extremely high level of zinc (30,000 mg/kg) including Bioplex® zinc for reproduction and growth benefits. Zinc Rich Rockies promote healthy skin, fleece and udders, and help to prevent foot rot.
(apparently!!)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 11:56:43 am by Womble »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 02:55:23 pm »
OK, here's Mark 2, thanks to a great suggestion by [member=28054]Slimjim[/member] to use two buckets joined together to make a deeper 'hood'.

All I did was to (untidily!) cut the bottom out of one bucket, then slide it inside a second, but with some lengths of 2x2 in between so I had something to screw to. I also joined the two buckets together around the edge of the outside bucket, using pop rivets reinforced from the inside with washers.

Although my first effort was a bit wobbly, this one is rock solid and I'm confident it will last a good few years  :thumbsup:.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 10:54:15 am »
Womble - what do you do once the lick is half gone and falls off the spindle? :)

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 12:21:23 pm »
Drill another hole...........and another.............etc until it's all gone.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 10:38:17 pm »
My theory is that since they lick at the bottom only, it will eventually become top heavy and then flip over, leading to an evenly distributed wear pattern.

In reality, once it falls off, I'll splodge what's left onto the top of a standard licky bucket!

Carolswoolies

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 07:13:05 pm »
Thank you Womble.
They are melting like sugar mice here!
Your inventiveness is greatly appreciated.
Thank you  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS