Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pics of my buffaloes!  (Read 8158 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Pics of my buffaloes!
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 12:38:24 pm »
We sell our bull calves to a buffalo farmer in Yorkshire. The price is more expensive than cow beef due to the fact that it is lower in cholesterol than cow beef. I can't really remember how much we used to sell it for as it was a long time ago. If you look up, not laverstoke, I think its west country water buffalo and their website should say. Beautiful meat though.
When I took billy goat to local abattoir I went  to the cold room to collect skin, there were a couple of heads+horns there, chap said they were buffalo,  but not sure what sort, one had incurve horns, other had wide outward, impressive.
But I see your man is S.Yorkshire,  must be someone else.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 12:48:10 pm »
Thanks for that WBF and its interesting to hear about the different types of Buffalo.

Thanks for the links.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 06:46:58 pm »
It certainly is interesting and I would love to keep some if they could just be marketed in a standard livestock market, instead of having to arrange ones own marketing.

Every time I get anything slaughtered privately, be it pig, sheep or cattle, I worry that I'll be left with a mountain of meat. The last highland bull I got done - we had someone give backword on £300worth of meat. So I don't know if East Yorks is ready to try buffalo meat. :thinking:       
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 08:15:22 pm »
I would have some LLR.

People do change their mind about meat from the farm unless you have a good deposit. They think its like the supermarket. If you dont buy it this week it goes in the land fill but you can go back to the supermarket the following week and you will find all the chiller shelves full again. Its availability without responsibility.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 10:07:16 pm »
If you do decide to rear buffalo and sell the meat landovery, it would be fantastic. One word of warning though new laws have come in about the methods of killing a buffalo in an abbatoir. Origionally they used to bolt stun them at the back of the head, because if they did it at the front of the head it would only splinter the skull because a buffaloes skull is 10 times thicker than a cows skull. You have to buy a special bolt gun for stunning or the abbatoir have to use a rifle to kill them, not ideal. Silly laws they are. Their excuse was that if you stun them at the back of the head you can't take a brain same to test for mad cows disease and yet if you shoot them its somehow different. As far as records go back buffalo have never, ever come down with mad cows disease, as theyre not bovine. I am not saying they can't catch it though, but there has never been a recorded case of it happening in buffalo.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:09:12 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 07:40:46 am »
What are buffalo?  I always thought that they were a bovine species.

LLR when I was a young chick I think there was a herd of something like buffalo at Bishop Burton, or were they bison?  Are bison a bovine species?  I am all confused and confuddled now, must be too much sherry in the mince pies I am munching for breakfast.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 08:47:16 am »
Whats the difference between a bison and a buffalo...?

you cant wash your face in a buffalo...... :roflanim:

So sorry Buttermilk but you lined that one up so beautifully lol  ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 02:55:17 pm by Buffy the eggs layer »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 09:11:15 am »

So sorry Pennine but you lined that one up so beautifully lol  ;D
I have had that joke said so many times to me at markets :roflanim:

Neither species fall into the category of bovine.
The latin name for water buffalo is bubalis, bubalis. The latin for American bison, Bison bison
The latin for Domestic cattle, Bos taurus.
They're listed in the cattle category because it makes it easier for the government.  The reason why bison can breed with cows is because they have a similar  cell numbers, I think cattle have a higher cell number than buffalo which is why they cannot breed, in fact scientists have tried and failed to breed buffalo and cattle because their cells are incompatible.  According to wiki though they're all bovids which means grass eaters ( I think). However they're not bovine, as bovine is the latin word meaning bos, which means ox and they're not oxen, latin for cattle IE bos.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 09:20:05 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 12:43:37 pm »
So they are sort of related like horses/zebras/donkeys. Horses 62 chromosomes to donkeys 64.  Crossing the high number onto the low is more successful than the other way round.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 05:49:11 pm »

Well I hadn't heard it before and find it amusing. :roflanim: not often you get a joke so perfectly apt.

Iwould quite happily rear a buffalo for meat if you wanted the whole carcase Buffy. It's what's left after you've had some that gives me cause for concern. :thinking:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 07:13:04 pm »
Yeah you are right I think that would be rather allot of meat. I think I will just try a meat box from a yorkshire supplier.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 07:15:00 pm »
So they are sort of related like horses/zebras/donkeys. Horses 62 chromosomes to donkeys 64.  Crossing the high number onto the low is more successful than the other way round.
You could say bison are, but buffalo are not in the least related to cattle. Buffalo can't breed with either cattle or bison at all, scientists tried creating them in a lab too, but their DNA was incompatible. Also water buffalo cannot breed with the African cape buffalo, again their chromosomes are different to one another making it impossible. The cape buffalo even has a slightly different Latin name compared to the water buffalo

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 07:18:36 pm »
Yeah you are right I think that would be rather allot of meat. I think I will just try a meat box from a yorkshire supplier.
Try Snowden hill water buffalo, they have a page on Facebook, their websites down atm, if you can't contact them though I could always ask them for you. They're based in north Yorkshire I think.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS