Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pics of my buffaloes!  (Read 8134 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Pics of my buffaloes!
« on: December 21, 2015, 11:47:10 am »
I know some of you wanted to see pics of my buffaloes, so here they are! If you would like to see some more pics here is a link to my twitter account.
https://twitter.com/Tammypuddleduck
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:53:06 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Pics of my buffaloes!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:57:10 am »
They look distinctly mellower  8) than the African version  :relief:

Beautiful creatures, but how do you sit them on their bums to trim their feet  ::) ?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:02:19 pm »
Yes they're are. They're an entirely different breed to the African one, their genetic pool being different to the cape buffalo, so they cannot actually breed with the cape buffalo, nor can any buffalo breed with a cow. To trim their feet we get a contractor out and he pops them in a turnover crate and does their feet. Our buffaloes are handled from birth and are really soft, they absolutely love attention. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 01:53:47 pm »
Very nice  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 02:25:34 pm »
 They look great.
 But where do you sell the meat? And what sort of price/kg do you get?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 02:34:38 pm »
Is the plural not buffalo? 

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 02:51:25 pm »
You're quite right verdifish. According to Italian buffalo farmers the herd is only known as buffalo if there is a bull present. The female I think are actually called buffalai, but we call them buffalo to avoid confusion :roflanim: we did at one time sell the meat landovery but we're focusing on making mozzarella. We sell our bull calves to a buffalo farmer in Yorkshire. The price is more expensive than cow beef due to the fact that it is lower in cholesterol than cow beef. I can't really remember how much we used to sell it for as it was a long time ago. If you look up, not laverstoke, I think its west country water buffalo and their website should say. Beautiful meat though.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 06:42:19 am »
They are beautiful and I loved the mozz I had in Italy so would love to try your mozz and the beef.

Landroveroy could you be tempted by a couple of bull calves to keep Buttercup company.......?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 12:42:41 pm »
well Buffy we should be in production mid next year, all being well. The facilities are almost ready to be signed off now, so not too long away we hope.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 12:57:59 pm »

Landroveroy could you be tempted by a couple of bull calves to keep Buttercup company.......?

Oh yes! I could be tempted to keep anything different.

Buttercup, however, is still not entirely sure if she is bovine or human. She is at present living safely with the rest of the cattle as they've been taken off the riverbank and so can't push her into the river (again).

Her one true love was Howard, :love: so whether another male could ever replace him in her affections is debatable.

Anyway, I read somewhere that buffalo are good at removing gates with their horns and I can't deal with any more excuses as to why my cattle have got out. :relief:
Rules are made:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 01:08:55 pm »
Only when they're bored though. We have had one or two do that before, but not very often. They're easier to handle than cattle and since a few years ago we halter trained them from birth. By the way I meant to say buffaloes and cows dont mix, they just dont seem to like each other.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 09:45:17 pm »
Oh well - that's that then.  :knit:
Rules are made:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 07:36:20 am »
I guess buffalo dont speak cow ??? . But then Landroveroys Dexterish type cow Buttercup dosent speak Hereford . Which is probably why she gets pushed into the river by them. ::)

Poor Buttercup she got on with the other Dexters though and the Dexter x Highland so I guess even breeds of cow have their prejudices.   ;)

Do they have a preferred terrain WBF? Thinking back to my african adventures I was wondering if they did well on poor pasture or waterlogged areas?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 10:42:39 am »
They're quite hardy animals, but I would not recommend them to live in waterlogged areas or poor pasture. That's not saying they can't, indeed they can and can survive well on it, but if they are used to being kept in buildings or on good quality pasture then it is probably best that they didn't. In east Asia they have swamp buffalo which survive well in areas which are waterlogged. The variety we have are river buffalo, better suited to good pasture. There are many varieties of buffalo all over the world, they come in all shapes and sizes, the ones we have originate from Italy. We think there are some Murrah genetics in the mix though, as we have a few with white flashes on their heads and blue and white eyes. I was told that the buffalo with the tightest curling horns are the best for milk yield, better than the broader horned ones, because they usually have some Murrah buffalo genetics in them. The Murrah being one of the highest milk yielding buffalo in the world.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 10:50:36 am »
If anyone would like to buy buffalo meat I know some people who sell their's cheaper than laverstoke and west country water buffalo. http://www.broughtonwaterbuffalo.co.uk/ This is how much we used to sell our meat for, but it was a few years ago now. The people we sell our bull calves to are these https://www.facebook.com/Snowden-Hill-Water-Buffalo-137770706342706/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS