Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sucess rate with AI  (Read 3859 times)

shoveller

• Joined Feb 2014
sucess rate with AI
« on: December 19, 2015, 08:00:39 pm »
Just wondered what other folks sucess rate is with AI, beef cows.
Its about 60% here which i feel is not good enough. How can it be improved or is that about as good as it gets. AI the day after see them bulling

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: sucess rate with AI
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 08:23:00 pm »
We have a very very good success rate here.  It's unusual to have a cow returning.  We AI the day we see them a-bulling, or if we spot them late on, then first thing the next morning.

With the sucklers we don't do anything specific, just bring them in, get them served, and put them back where they were.

With my Jerseys I make a definite plan to not stress them - and to a dairy cow, any change in her routine is stressful - for about 5 weeks after service.  Since I worked out I needed to do this, we've had a very good success rate with them, too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 08:33:30 pm »
I used to do that as well, but because its harder to get buffaloes in calf I use a synchronization programme on them, usually works 4 out of 5, depending on what animal it is.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 06:19:56 pm »
Never had  great success with AI prob about 50% with syncro heifers. If the bull has to cover half he may as well do them all.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 06:38:36 pm »
I only AI the cream of the herd with top quality semen, otherwise the rest are covered by the bull and the vast majority of the calves we sell. I would recommend only AI'ing if you want good genetics in the herd, otherwise it is a very costly business. You could always borrow a bull if you don't fancy owning one, am sure your neighbouring farmer would only be too happy to oblige. 
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 07:30:54 am »
Sorry W I disagree with only a few cows AI is much cheaper than a bull...... Have to pay for Tb test bringing bull in and out if hiring...or feed him all year..of you have yr own . Last. Year I had 3 out of 4 on first service and the other on second .... And I was pretty sure I had her done too early with the first service so am very happy with that.  Not Pd'd yet but hopeful of 100% first service this year!

Key is observation early morning and late eve..... If seen standing to be mounted then have served asap.. If standing heat is late morning. on ... Serve following day.     And yes back to field asap no stress.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 09:44:18 am »
I agree, AI is much cheaper than a bull for small herds and can be easier too - nowhere for randy teenagers to run to, nothing to break down fences getting to a lady in need, no full size bull to snap the pelvic girdle on a small heifer, and no worries about where to winter a bull.

We were a year between bulls at one point, and our total AI bill for a herd of 35 cows was just about the same as the cost of running a good bull.  And all of the bulls used for AI are more expensive than one we might buy,  though that doesn't always mean better, of course.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 10:27:36 am »
I think it depedns on your circumstances. We synchronised out two heifers the first year - they had two AIs 12/24 hours apart (I can't remember now). Neither held; by the next season they weren't synchronised (or even close); Breeze held to second AI; Blizz had three goes then went to a bull, who nicked her first time.

Since then we've used natural service - hired a bull the second year; now we buy a young bull, use him for two years them put him in the freezer at under 30 months.

He eats grass in summer and straw and a licky bucket in winter so feed costs aren't much.

It works for us.

shoveller

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 05:27:09 pm »
Who has a bull? How many cows would keeping a bull be worthwhile?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 08:43:51 pm »
We do. He served three this year and will serve four next year, all things being equal. Then he'll be steak.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 07:54:56 pm »
Don't just think about the money, you need to think about logistics too.

Can you keep young heifers separate?  If not, are you happy to - and do you have the facilities to - get them jagged to abort?

Will the bull be okay to outwinter?  (And not able to get to your own or any neighbours' outwintering youngstock.)  If not, do you have safe facilities to house him, again where he can't get to youngstock you don't want bulled.

Also, depending on why you are breeding, it may be an issue that a beast bought as a bull calf may not turn into the very best breeding bull.  Which is not to say don't do it, but do recognise that the bull you end up using is unlikely to be of the quality an AI bull should be.

Of course, also quantify the beautiful bull beef you will get to eat!  :)  :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS