Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new what's this?  (Read 7436 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
new what's this?
« on: December 18, 2015, 08:04:22 pm »
I had it in every module and each planting tray, they probably came out of my own compost! Fairly slow growing. At first I thought they looked like Aubergines but no...

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: new what's this?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 10:09:24 pm »
A plant!   :excited: :relief:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 10:34:49 pm »
I got that far  :D

My text diappeared while I was reducing the picture - I've had this in every module and every seed tray this spring and summer so it must have come from my compost. At first I thought these plants were aubergines but no....anyone has an idea?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 11:41:36 pm »
Grow some on and see what happens next year.   The stems look a bit like raspberry but I'm not convinced about the leaves.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 12:14:17 am »
Grow some on and see what happens next year.   The stems look a bit like raspberry but I'm not convinced about the leaves.
That was my thought, stem looked right, then i checked other pictures, leaves wrong.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 05:36:07 am »
no not raspberry.

I have some grow in my garden and cant decide if its a sickly version of oilseed rape blown off the fields or a wild flower of a similar plant.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 03:19:23 pm »
no blossom showing whatsoever. I had to chuck it outside as it got so heavy it toppled off my windowsill (grown in pot with the basil that died months ago!) . Not raspberry. Not Aubergine. maybe some kind of magic bean  :roflanim: Doesn't look like Brassica either. I have no doubt it will come back next year in every module....I might take this one into the tunnel but it seems to be hardy , too!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 04:25:43 pm »
As it's been raised indoors I think we have to imagine it much more compact ie not leggy when we're trying to work out what it is. Do you have any which have been grown outdoors all their lives?   Presumably it's a biennial or perennial as it's had no flowers this year.  Give it a stake and see what happens in the spring.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 04:31:49 pm »
I've had this in every module and every seed tray this spring and summer so it must have come from my compost.

That happened to my friend who was worried she'd grown cannabis by mistake due to composting her parrot's litter. We advised her to pick some of the leaves and smoke them; "then If you're still worried..... it's not cannabis"  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 04:48:54 pm »
As it's been raised indoors I think we have to imagine it much more compact ie not leggy when we're trying to work out what it is. Do you have any which have been grown outdoors all their lives?   Presumably it's a biennial or perennial as it's had no flowers this year.  Give it a stake and see what happens in the spring.
I let the others die in the greenhouse once i was sure they're not aubergines ;)  none made it to the size of the kitchen specimen.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 12:36:22 am »
I've had this in every module and every seed tray this spring and summer so it must have come from my compost.

That happened to my friend who was worried she'd grown cannabis by mistake due to composting her parrot's litter. We advised her to pick some of the leaves and smoke them; "then If you're still worried..... it's not cannabis"  ;D

We have loads of that which grows from the seeds we put out for the wild birds.  We just burn it on the bonfire once the plants are big enough :roflanim: :roflanim:

One thing we get every year in the tunnel, and I've no idea how it gets there, is Datura/thorn apple or bruckmansia.  It's toxic and stinks.  I tried letting one grow amongst the tomatoes one year and it grew really enormous (that goes in the bin - definitely no fun)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 10:43:48 am »

One thing we get every year in the tunnel, and I've no idea how it gets there, is Datura/thorn apple or bruckmansia.  It's toxic and stinks.  I tried letting one grow amongst the tomatoes one year and it grew really enormous (that goes in the bin - definitely no fun)

Surely that can't come from the bird seeds? the seeds are highly toxic (saw a documentary about the use of it in South America, it's called Devil's breath or the zombie maker), worse than Rohypnol that can kill....
It is used as ornamental garden plant here, maybe sell them on?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 12:01:27 pm »

Surely that can't come from the bird seeds? the seeds are highly toxic (saw a documentary about the use of it in South America, it's called Devil's breath or the zombie maker), worse than Rohypnol that can kill....
It is used as ornamental garden plant here, maybe sell them on?

I hate them and get rid of them as soon as I see what's coming up now.  If anyone read 'The Clan of the Cave Bear' series, the shamans used Datura to send themselves into a trance and seemed to have some very bad dreams.
I've seen the plants for sale in the seed catalogues and can't understand why anyone would want to keep something lethal and stinking like that on purpose, however amazing their flowers are.
I don't know where the seeds come from.  They look like pepper/tomato seeds so maybe they come in a packet with them.  The bird seed produces the cannabis, which is probably ordinary hemp, but looks very convincing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:39:16 pm by Fleecewife »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 01:34:32 pm »
I thought it was supposed to be a wonderful scent?
I bought a packet of seeds and been trying to get the sole survivor to flowering size for a few years now, not a happy plant.
In an area where beasties don't get to.

You could always throw the seedlings my way  :)

I have a lily in the polytunnel, scent is overpowering, but the bulblet's I've taken off and planted outside are much more pleasant to be around.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 12:40:31 pm »
A long shot:  it looks rather vine-like and leaves resemble some types of kiwi-fruit vine leaves (broad spear-shaped leaves) so could it be that perhaps?  Difficult to make out whether leaves have pointed ends, but, then again, some kiwi vines have less pronounced tip to the leaves.  As I seem to be allergic to the fruit, I have never tried to grow and I have never actually seen the plant in the flesh, but I offer the thought in case you have ever tried planting seeds or discarded pulp into compost.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS