Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Welfare issues at a fowl centre  (Read 7707 times)

poppy

• Joined May 2009
!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 09:50:35 pm »
Yes it is Plums. Why is it still going on though? Lots of questions to be answered.

We have a lot of legislation in place in Britain for animal welfare for good reason. It may make our produce a bit more expensive but at least we know what conditions it has been raised in. We also need a government that understands the countryside!

Anyway, getting a bit carried away now!

;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Welfare issues at a fowl centre
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 11:40:39 pm »
If the RSPCA have been involved, its usual for them to keep visiting the place to check conditions are better.  Maybe they are still checking.
So long as the animals, and birds have adequate water, food, and shelter, I don't think the RSPCA can do much.

I do think it is easy to jump to conclusions based on what you see, and assume is neglect.  I always think, when I see  animals in a situation that does not look perfect.  There could be a reason that the pigs have no water, they have probably knocked it over ......or the ponies have no hay ......well, they have already eaten it!!

I suppose there is no reason not to approach the people who run the place, and mention on or two things, and see what the reaction is.  If its negative, or they do not seem to care, then maybe involving the RSPCA is the only option.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 07:33:41 am »
I went to cotwolds farm park the other day (the one on countryfile) and was really upset to see that the rabbits in the petting barn had no water. several cages of bunnies without water that is. it was a hot day and my children were plastered in sun cream which made me more concerned about the rabbits welfare. we shouldnt 'have to point it out to staff at this places surely? before we left for our day out I had made sure that my 3 rabbits, 2 gpigs, 11 chickens and 4 cats had been fed and had lots of water! and I don't have staff to do that!!  I think that what I am saying is that it seems to happen at lots of places where you would least expect it  >:(
the fowl place in question has a team of adults with learning difficulties now that come and clean the small animals out, they are from a centre and i think they gain a lot from it and hopefully it allows the trust staff to get on with the other jobs.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 07:56:21 am »
Anyone that put animals out there as an attraction should provide their animals with some of the best conditions there are, in my opinion. Realistically these animals are "working" for their keep and so should be rewarded with the basics; clean living conditions, water, shelter and food. I have told the story before that 2 years ago we rescued 2 old goats that were really in an appauling condition when they arrived and I worried that someone would report me. However, I knew that my vets know me and my animals very well and know the conditions that I keep them and are more than satisfied. The vet was called out moments after Rosie and Toggi arrived and I expressed my fears and I was assured that I had nothing to worry about. I am also friends with Fife councils Animal Welfare Officer and she comes here to see "well looked after" animals after a hellish day at work.

Yes ocasionally there can be a day when you should really clean the ducks bed out but put it off another day but on this topic alone there are more than 1 person expressed concerns about the same place. I guess what I am sayung is that if your animals are on show you have to go  that extra mile to look after them, having the odd scruffy hen or goose at moulting season is fair enough but the animals in these pictures look beyond that.

Your turn Russ... :)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 08:42:14 am »
Hopeing life gets better for the birds that are kept at this place isn't going to change the way the people that own it look after them.
They are suffering from neglect and if you just walk away and allow it to carry on what does that say about you.

I have 50 pens of birds here and none of them are in need of fresh water,food or vermin free houseing.

The RSPCA are a dog with no teeth and a waste of a phone call. Get trading standards involved and sort this bunch of lazy bastards out.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 11:51:00 am »
lol... I think I said all I should say before really ...lol . No , it is just the instant leap to report these days that occurs without any thought sometimes . I know there are times when something needs to be reported , but if people have seen this situation a year ago or more , why didn't they walk up and ask why things were the way they were THEN ?
 People can be quick enough to get on the phone and make anonymous calls about others , why can't they use their mouth and ask face to face and see what is wrong ?.
 It is just the sly backhanded method I object to .
 If something is up my nose I say so ... straight out . I then get the explanation and can make any judgment from there on .
 I realise that there are places that don't look after animals as they should be ... walk around god knows how many intensive pig farms and see !!! , but front up people ... thats all I am saying .... if something is wrong with a situation ASK WHY !!! find out the FACTS see if anything can be done and make a decision from there... simple really .
 There now I have put the world to rights ....  ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 12:09:10 pm »
i have to agree with rusty. if it was me i would much prefer a person asking why something is the way it is than running off to the welfare agencies. yes there may be need to report them . but a question comes to mind. if they were that bad last year why did you go back. i would also not buy stock from somewhere that there welfare was not looked after.
personally a goose or two thats ill does not mean the whole is at fault. but they should be issolated. and not on display.

poppy

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 01:58:08 pm »
I went to the centre a year ago to purchase my first waterfowl. There are very few places around here which sell young ducklings. Being new to keeping birds it was not for me to judge the place as I had zero experience then and the birds did not appear to be suffering.

On my return, a year on, I have experience and knowledge of keeping waterfowl. I have made a judgement of the place now and feel it is unfair and to keep waterfowl in such conditions.

No one has mentioned anything about reporting the centre behind their backs.  I visited the centre yesterday morning and have come away from the place without saying anything to them so I can could get advice on what I had seen. I have not rushed into any 'reporting' or jeopardised their business.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 02:24:54 pm »
I visit a very large animal sanctuary, and will be there again for the open day on Sunday.  The sanctuary is open every day, you can walk round, peer in the pens, stables etc.  And the fields.  They do not hide anything.  I can honestly say, in all the years I have been going there, that I have never seen an animal in a poor state, without food or water.  They always have access to hay, the beds in the stables are in my view, more than is adequate!!  If there is an animal that has just arrived, there is usually an explanation as to its curcumstances, why its so thin etc.  which is a help to visitors who may question.

There are ponies, donkeys, goats, ferrets, rabbits, dogs and cats, and a lot of each.  The place has staff, but also volunteers, and they have to be commended on the cleanliness of the place, and conditon of the animals.

There is an old goat, who is 18.  He suffers badly from arthritis, which is explained on the front of his pen.  I always stop to make a fuss of him, and he does look a bit worse for wear, but has everything he needs including a little rug.  Oh, and a visitor has knitted him some stripy socks. He ate the first pair, so has replacements!!!!

I think like anywhere, there are good and bad places.  To be honest, as someone who has a lot of animals, I myself find it hard sometimes to keep up housekeeping standards.  My main priority is everyone is fed and watered, and on their feet.  The fact that there may be straw flying round the yard, and some piles of poo here and there.....well, yes, there is.  But I only have so many hours in the day.  Most people who come for eggs etc. say how well my animals look, maybe they do notice things are not perfect, but no one has said so ....yet.  If they do, I will explain why of course.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 02:39:43 pm »
Are we talking about The Domestic Fowl Trust at Honeybourne.

This place was the subject of a very large thred posted in the Practical Poultry website about 2 years ago.It was supposedly a disgusting state of affairs and had been for a while due to 'ill health' on the part of the owners. Not long afterwards I read that they had picked up a grant of thousands of £'s to put up a visitor center.

If it is the same place why hasn't someone done anything about it?

Personally I would like to birch anyone mistreating animals and ban them from ever owning any again.

Can you imagine being an animal in that place and waking up every morning and having to endure another day living like that.

It's not just a welfair issue, it's a place that sells birds and these birds are spreading god alone knows what viruses around the country. >:(
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 02:49:54 pm »
its where I bought my birds - I've been lucky by the sounds of it.

didn't realise about the huge grant. or about the issues raised 2 years ago. to be honest I thought things seemed better when I went there over easter with the children. I have to admit to not looking closely at the duck areas though as we kind of aimed straight at the ponies, goats etc at the back and then the ball pit  ::)

I'll take my toddler there friday and have a better look.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS