Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pasteurisation and cheese making in Scotland  (Read 1785 times)

mahatma_dj

• Joined Nov 2015
Pasteurisation and cheese making in Scotland
« on: December 11, 2015, 05:15:34 pm »
Hello,

Elsewhere on the AS forums there's a wee bit of chat about the ban on sale of unpasteurised milk in Scotland for direct human consumption. Im wondering whether anyone knows whether this prohibits the sale of unpasteurised milk for cheese making. Its seems to me that, given that unpasteurised cheese is on sale in Scotland, and is made in Scotland, it cant do. But I get things wrong all the time, and the legislation doesnt seem to make it clear, so Im hoping someone has experience of this in practice.

Thanks all!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Pasteurisation and cheese making in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 05:35:48 pm »
It is probably the fact that unpasteurized cheese has been matured, so a lot of the bacterias, except actual dirt if there is any, will be pasteurized out. However with unpasteurized milk there is still the risk of harmful bacteria being present. I assume you mean cheeses which are matured and not fresh cheeses? You would have to look into it properly though. Maybe contact EHO's in Scotland to get proper information?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS