Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What can I make with my pigs' lungs?  (Read 8149 times)

Piggerswiggers

• Joined Jul 2015
What can I make with my pigs' lungs?
« on: December 10, 2015, 04:22:15 pm »
Does anyone have an edible way to use pig lung? Any thoughts to how they might fare in a slow-cooked stew? I just can't bring myself to waste them but they're currently languishing in the freezer and I could use the space with the upcoming festivities.
All contributions gratefully received.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
Re: What can I make with my pigs' lungs?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:57:21 am »
Faggots ????
Incorporate into the mix, lungs also known as lights, lighten the mix from a dense meat pate into a lighter more open structure.
I'm tempted to try putting some into meatballs to see if it has the same effect???

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 08:18:55 am »
Your dogs would probably appreciate them, cooked in small amounts.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 11:02:34 am »
Haggis? You can cook it in a basin or tin. Would you like a recipe?

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 11:36:46 am »
I've cooked and fed the lights (lungs) we had back from slaughter of our pigs to our dogs, a small portion over a couple of meals, they ate them with relish.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 12:30:09 pm »
In the '50s and '60s we fed our cats on boiled lights.  No tinned food then, but of course they also had vermin from the farm.
I would hate to eat them myself, as I still have the smell of them boiling in my memory  :P
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 08:44:44 pm »
They dehydrate nicely ..

Piggerswiggers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 10:04:44 am »
Thanks to all who replied.
Devonlady, I'd love a recipe for haggis if you're happy to share.
ZacB - at the risk of sounding beyond stupid I don't really know what faggots are - blame my soft southern upbringing. Do you have a recipe to share please?
Thanks again

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 11:36:40 am »
Piggers, I am shite at giving recipes as I don't weigh anything but, this is roughly it. Have ready a large pudding basin or a 2lb loaf tin, well greased or buttered.
Mince or finely chop the lungs and liver and put in a bowl. Finely chop 3 large onions and fry gently until soft, put in with minced meat, add a tablespoon of white pepper and a dessertspoon of salt along with a few good handsful of oatmeal (the mixture should be  not too sloppy)
Put into basin with a good, secure lid of tin foil if you use it or greaseproof if you don't, tied down and put into a saucepan, standing the basin on an upturned saucer and simmer, watching the water, level for a good hour, test with knife or skewer (like testing a fruit cake) and if still pink, simmer some more.
If using a loaf tin, put in a moderate oven and test as before.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 05:40:35 pm »
Piggerswiggers (dudey user name ;) )

Faggot recipe:
Lungs, heart & kidneys minced and then mixed with an equal amount of minced pork belly (or meat/fat you would use to make your sausages). Looking at my last notes I did comment to increase meat to offal ratio, last time I made I had 1.7kg of offal plus an equal amount of meat producing 30 good size faggots, two made a meal.
For each 630g of faggot mix add:
100g breadcrumbs
Med onion finely chopped
1/2tsp mace
1/2tsp all spice
Tsp brown sugar
2 sage leaves
Small bunch thyme leaves

Make into balls and wrap in caul fat. Roast at 170 for 50mins in a roasting tray with 50-100ml chicken stock, couple of bay leaves and some thyme stems.

Serve with mash, mushy peas & onion gravy.

Additional notes, meat was put through a coarse grinder plate and offal through a medium plate - enjoy!

Devonlady, isn't Haggis usually made with sheep offal? Recipe we use for Haggis which has produced something resembling the fine product from north of the border:
1/2 liver, lungs & heart into saucepan of boiling water with teaspoon of salt, simmer for 2 hours, then mince. Mix with 1/4kg minced suet & 1/4kg medium pinhead oatmeal - this should be toasted to golden brown in a medium oven before using.
Add 1tbsp finely chopped herbs, 4 finely chopped med onions, 2tsps pepper, 1tsp salt and a small sherry glass of whisky.
Put into 3 pudding bowls (or stuff into haggis skins) and steam for 3hrs, each pudding will serve 5-6 people. Can be frozen.

Regards Zac

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 09:23:25 pm »
Yes, ZacB, haggis is traditionally made with lamb offal but is good enough made with pig, goat or cow offal. Your recipe looks good!

Piggerswiggers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 02:08:45 pm »
 Dear ZacB and Devonlady

You've made my day. Thanks so much for sharing, both sound right tasty so I'll definitely be having a go. All sorts of lovely offal sitting thawing in the fridge as I write this.

Cheers
 Piggerswiggers  :excited:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 03:11:52 am »
For devilment I  Googled " recipes from pig lungs  " found this interesting day of the week recipes site ..
See what you think .. there are quite a few other  lung flesh recipes under the google search term as well ..

recipes from pigs lings http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/08/offal-of-the-week-lungs/
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS