Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poly tunnel shelter  (Read 3097 times)

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
Poly tunnel shelter
« on: December 03, 2015, 11:40:38 am »
Are they any good?
We lost our shelter in the high winds during storm barney! so are looking for a replacement.
Money is a bit tight at the moment but we've seen good reviews about poly tunnel shelters. Just wanted to hear from someone who's used one if possible before we commit.
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Poly tunnel shelter
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 12:01:54 pm »
The really good quality purpose-made sheep tunnels seem to do a good job, although brushing off snow might be desirable, as a sheltered site may be, depending on your location.  Depends exactly what you need it for.  Practical lambing shelters can be rigged up from tin, haybales, old gates, pallets .....

cas

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 07:38:54 pm »
We use a 'portable garage' made by Dancover as our lambing shed (but we only have 7 ewes).  Its cover is green so it blends in well and four years in it is still standing (althougn a bit tatty round the edges).

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:03:59 pm »
We have a polytunnel and it's fantastic for sheep-they don't get too hot in it, we have boards along the bottom to shelter lambs then plastic net above. We use it for the sheep at lambing time.  In the summer we use it to store hay and grow hanging baskets of tomatoes,although we sometimes have sheep pens set up in it for sheep shearing and various other sheep jobs. When it's quite windy / stormy my husband puts double height big round straw bales at the door the wind blowing in. Several years ago when we had a lot of snow my husband got some wood and made supports inside supporting the hoops and we gently nudged the plastic above our heads with a long handled broom every day to knock the snow off. We have even moved it to our new holding and it's still standing and so useful.

Fud

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 09:08:41 pm »
Im in the process of putting up a 75ft (was a 150Ft) x30ft polytunnel, Ive gone through the council to make sure there's no comeback from the neighbours Seems you can spend a fortune on purchasing and erecting a polytunnel, From drainage to sitting, securing to security, and dual purpose useage. If it goes well I'll learn by my mistakes and maybe get the other half up!

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 09:55:03 am »
We bought one last year and it had survived the high winds. We are very exposed because the land is so flat. I lined the meeting inside with pallets then built three goat pens inside using ply and pallets. I also use it for milking the goats,  storing feed and Hay.  There is enough space left penned off with hurdles for the four ewes for Lambing, worming etc. The only downside has been that the crows think it's a big bag of silage and have pecked a couple of holes in the top. I have stopped that by rigging a frame work up at either end and running rope across. A very good investment so far as we are concerned

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS