Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Trough to avoid mud  (Read 7694 times)

sophie

• Joined May 2013
Pig Trough to avoid mud
« on: November 30, 2015, 07:10:36 pm »
Hi Has anyone any ideas of how to feed the pigs in mud? They are outside in the woods where it is dry on the hill and away from the feeding area, bed is lovely and dry, but where they march up and down waiting for food it is very muddy. We keep moving the 1-2m metal trough up the hill, but the mud gets bad instantly! Has anyone any tips or is the only option to create a hard standing area?

Thanks

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Pig Trough to avoid mud
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:49:27 pm »
Nope wish I did"

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:21:06 pm »
Ah the holy grail of winter pig keeping!
I haven't got a hard-standing either as mine are in woodland.
I tend to rotate two metal troughs - one in at any one time and one out to allow a hosing down and replacement when things are really wet and muddy.
Mind you I'm not sure the pigs are so bothered, it's mostly me!
Martha R

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:30:40 pm »
We used old slabs to make feeding platforms in the fields (they're a blessing in muddy weather)
If you squash them down onto the mud then keep the pigs off til the ground has dried they get sucked in almost as much as if you'd concreted them in  ;)
You do need to keep the pigs off the slabs though until the ground has all dried up, otherwise they'll just root them up and wreak it (ask me how I know  ::) ;))
HTH

IretonsFarm

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 09:17:02 am »
Mud mud and more mud!

When building / repairing pens I stone the gateways and the base for the arks but one day I'd love to have the time (and money) to concrete them plus a feed area. I just keep moving the troughs around but this time of year its just going from one really muddy area to one slightly less muddy.

If things get really bad I dump some wood chip in the middle of the bad spot and let the pigs spread it about.

sophie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 09:35:21 am »
Thanks for the ideas, and didn't think there was solution. The spring at the top of the wood has started to complicate things even more today due to all the rain we have had. Its much drier up the hill, its just a challenge getting the food up there with two hungry pigs. Will maybe have to put another gate in to help. May try some concrete slabs, but not sure they will stay on the slope and the pigs will probably want to see what's underneath them!!!

Thanks for the replies

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 10:06:48 am »
We are in the same boat, so to speak, my girls are wading through liquid mud, we feed in rubber bowls which they frequently bury in the liquid by treading in them. have tried moving the feeders around the pen but its only going from one quagmire to another. :raining:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 10:18:54 am »
We abandoned metal troughs when the mud got really bad and used those cheap lightweight rubber feeding trugs with 2 handles.   They can be placed anywhere, ie. a different place each meal along the fence line, or anywhere else in the pen vaguely dry.  They are very sturdy, even when the pigs squabble over the nuts and flip them over.   It will all get eaten regardless, whether from the dish or the mud.  Also very easy to remove, rinse out and dry somewhere else, especially if you have a double set of trugs.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 11:07:51 am »
If you have the technology to deal with round bales of straw, roll one out on the ground to form a pathway. That's what I do for our cattle, round the feed rings. Obviously it doesn't last for ever, but it makes things a lot more pleasant for them, and with pigs being significantly lighter than cattle, it should last a fair time before you have to redo it.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 11:23:53 am »
I have the same problems - liquid mud. What I've done is to put the old mucked out straw bedding and any bad bits of straw from bales on the ground around the entrance and feed area then trod it down into the mud. So far it's worked and made life a little easier but needs topping up after heavy or persistent rain.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 11:29:09 am »
You don't say how old your pigs are but the bigger the nut you use the longer in takes to break down so if they spill it in the mud they will still find them and eat them.

IretonsFarm

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 11:38:29 am »
We only use nuts as apposed to the larger rolls as we don't have the facility to keep two types of feed in sufficient quantities, so generally speaking what goes in the mud is lost.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 02:14:07 pm »
I very much doubt it.  I reckon they find and eat every last nut deep in the quagmire, completely unbothered by the muddiness!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 03:13:35 pm »
We have concrete pens so are a mud-free zone but I wonder if those rubber mats they use in stables would be useful?  We once tried using a big Butler sink as a drinker in freezing weather and a grower tipped it over and it broke in 17 pieces. Must've weighed over 45kg when full.  We used to buy weaners from a lady who'd made her own Winter feed troughs by filling a square wooden mould with cement then sinking a large round washing up bowl in it up to the rim.  When the cement set she hoiked the bowl out.  The trough weighed about 60 kg.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 05:22:05 pm »
, its just a challenge getting the food up there with two hungry pigs. 
Seriously you don't have a problem. Wait until you've got 60 or 70 in groups of 12 or 15 penned together. If I only had two it'd be like a holiday.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS