Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep and Lamb feeding  (Read 5025 times)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
Sheep and Lamb feeding
« on: November 30, 2015, 08:05:31 am »
Good morning, We are new to sheep keeping, could someone please advise me on the correct quantity of feed my sheep should be getting, we have Poll Dorsets 2 of which are due to lamb now, 2 have had twins during the last week and 1 had a single lamb 10 days ago, I have looked at tables in sheep books but to be honest I am totally confused, they are and have lambed indoors are getting lamb feed in pellet form and have access to ad lib hay, they all look healthy enough and the lambs are all strong. I am concerned that I may be over / under feeding them.
Thank you

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Sheep and Lamb feeding
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 09:54:39 am »
I have mostly Down sheep and would be feeding 500g twice a day to ewes in optimum condition carrying twins - for the final two weeks of pregnancy and the first three weeks after lambing, increasing slowly beforehand and tailing off afterwards, although I lamb in Spring when they have good grazing for turnout.  Singles would get 300g per feed.  Ewes on the thin side would get more, those carrying plenty of condition, particularly carrying a single, much less.  I use an 18% protein pellet plus ad lib hay whilst in the shed, although unless there's a problem or appalling weather the lambs are turned out very quickly.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:31:10 am »
High energy bucket too  :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 11:50:10 am »
I don't generally bother, unless the weather is terrible  mid-pregnancy before I start feeding six weeks prior to lambing, but Down sheep keep condition very well.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 04:52:50 pm »
If they have just lambed and/or are due to lamb and are inside they will need a good protein ration to produce milk for their lambs. 18% protein sounds right, and the lambs will learn to feed quickly on it too...

I wouldn't worry about overfeeding as long as they have ad lib hay as well, and if they are eating 1kg in twice per day feeds that should be fine...

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 06:28:54 pm »
Thank you all for your replies, hooray we seem to be doing it right, it is our first foray into sheep, we have had pigs for years and although not experts we know the feed regime, we have spent the day today cleaning lambs bums and docking tails, thanks once again my mind is at rest. :fc: :wave:

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 07:29:37 am »
Do you really mean" getting lamb feed in pellet form" ? It's no big deal, but the ewes should be getting 18% protein pellets intended for ewes not lambs. The newborn lambs of course will not need any supplement for ages yet. Just to reinforce MF's advice, they should be turned out after a few days mothering up in their indoor pen - unless the weather is really bad. Traditionally, the ewes are wormed at this time as well. If you've been putting off looking at their feet while they were pregnant, you could do that as well before they go out.
PD lambs are lovely aren't they?

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 10:09:30 am »
Hi Slimjim, I did actually mean Sheep Feed not Lamb Feed although the little ones now scramble to get at mums feed, yes the lambs a very cute, we had another born last night but unfortunately has deformed front feet, he seems lively enough though so we now have to make a decision as to what to do with him.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:13:54 am by The Woodsiders »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 01:21:11 pm »
What do you mean by deformed ?   twisted / bent or just its foot bent  backwards    and walking on the joint ??

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 09:01:25 am »
If he is walking on joints , knuckled over, do some stretches with him, a bit of lambie physio, sometimes they can come out with either tendons too tight or tendons too loose, but can improve. Gently bring the leg back and fro, like he or she is doing pointy toes, not over stretching.  Can also splint, making sure that nothing is too tight.  Using soft gauze, cotton wool, and lolly sticks or similar x

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 09:10:03 am »
Hi Shep53  Foot bent backwards and walking on the joint, we are trying the massage and gentle manipulation treatment

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 09:37:41 am »
Hi Shep53  Foot bent backwards and walking on the joint, we are trying the massage and gentle manipulation treatment

That's not unusual and will sort itself out - exercise, as in running round, will also help, as will massaging it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 02:28:42 pm »

That's not unusual and will sort itself out - exercise, as in running round, will also help, as will massaging it.

Agree.  Sunshine  :sunshine: really helps too - less available when lambing in winter, unfortunately.  Whether keeping the lamb nice and warm helps, I don't know, but I guess it couldn't help.  Vitamins also, perhaps.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 06:22:18 pm »
 :thumbsup: Just takes time

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 06:33:02 pm »

Agree.  Sunshine  :sunshine: really helps too - less available when lambing in winter, unfortunately.  Whether keeping the lamb nice and warm helps, I don't know, but I guess it couldn't help.  Vitamins also, perhaps.

:sunshine: -where????? in December????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS