Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from Kernow  (Read 2996 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Hi from Kernow
« on: November 29, 2015, 08:33:55 pm »
Hi. 
You guys & gals turn up in my various web searches so many times:  great site with so much friendly advice so I thought time I registered.  I will be asking lots of questions (I actually have a long list and some will pop up shortly), but perhaps I will also be able to contribute usefully in the course of time.  For now, this is why I'm here:

Bought 7.5 acres Apr 15 in China Clay "country" (mid-Cornwall).  It is not perfect, but it has a fabulous panoramic view and I decided to stop looking (for land that is) and went for it - just needed a rethink on what to do with "my" new bit of Cornwall. 
Thoughts of grapes and secluded glamping site are out the window;  it's at some 200m and NW facing with 5ac sloping pasture and 2.5ac scrubby/rocky field (for gradual improvement).  So tree nursery + Xmas trees on the cards (and any horti' crops that might fill the income gap - I have a few ideas). 
Planning permission for basic support facilities is well overdue so I'm a bit held-up right now, but I have reason to be optimistic (albeit some adjustments required).
I took early retirement (good move) and, knowing a fair bit about plants, I now have a gardening business and am obviously looking to create a new rural plant-based business.  (I actually have a terrible memory for plant names, but my gardening clients don't seem to mind - we get there in the end!) 
So, not exactly a nut-shell forum profile, but that is me.  I am looking forward to many happy forum exchanges.

arob

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:35:49 pm by arobwk »

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: Hi from Kernow
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:30:16 pm »
Welcome to the Forum from another Kernow based smallholding  :excited:  We are further west than you - between Hayle and Helston.
I would recommend pigs for your scrubby stuff  :eyelashes:  But then again I am biased cos I think pigs are FAB
Maybe we will bump into you at an Edward Buckland auction next year - he holds his sales in the fields near Hamburger Hill  :eyelashes:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 11:47:08 am »
Thanks Sudanpan. 
Pigs might come into equation at some point (perhaps by some arrangement with another nearby piggery) but I'm not going to rush into livestock - I might pose some questions in course of time though.
I shall be going compact tractor/implements route and expect I shall have to rely on sourcing from dealers rather than auctions, but I expect I'll end up loafing around one or two.  For some reason Edward Buckland has never popped up in my Google searches so thank you for the pointer.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 01:02:12 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum  :wave:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 01:04:28 pm »
Hello and welcome from  :raining: Carnoustie  :wave:

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 04:22:48 pm »
And from North Lincolnshire :wave:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 05:37:16 pm »
Hi and welcome from Wales, if you have any questions then we will all be happy to answer them as best we can. All the best with whatever you decide. :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 06:31:02 pm »
Thank you all for your welcomes.
It took ages before I felt comfortable walking, willy nilly, over my little bit without hearing "Oi - get off my land".  That has passed, obviously, and it does now feel like mine.  May I never need to utter "Oi .... " 

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 10:26:47 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon! I am from Cadgwith on the Lizard peninsula originally. My bit of land looks out over Dartmoor, Haytor, Houndtor etc and anyone wanting to sit on it and admire the view is most welcome. Only rule NO DOGS!!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 07:25:20 pm »
Hello and welcome from Devon! I am from Cadgwith on the Lizard peninsula originally. My bit of land looks out over Dartmoor, Haytor, Houndtor etc and anyone wanting to sit on it and admire the view is most welcome. Only rule NO DOGS!!

Yo, hello devonlady. 
Sounds like your vista is pretty spectacular (slightest bit of envy here, but my vista will have to do - I love being able to stop for a cuppa and just revel in/at the view!).  But, NO DOGS!  I assume you have had some issues. My constant companion (little Papillon) for instance wouldn't say boo to a goose much-less a sheep or a cow, but one can never be too careful I guess.  Dogs or no dogs, I don't think I shall be as generous as you about others coming to admire the panorama - "Oi ....."  ...  "Sorry, but we were just taking in the view."  ...  "Well, OK, but while you're here, you might like to help plant some trees!"  ???  :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:31:57 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS