Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No buildings?  (Read 2476 times)

Mountainwoman

• Joined Oct 2014
No buildings?
« on: November 27, 2015, 10:49:56 pm »
Hi I have probably been spoiled for the last 7 years as I've had great outbuildings to winter my cows in as well as store my tractor, trailer and hay/ straw. We are moving though and looking for a new place. At the moment our top 2 places have land but no outbuildings whatsoever. I have shetland cattle and Hebridean sheep so I know that  they are capable of surviving outside but I am just wondering if anyone has experience of managing without any buildings. I know It depends on how well drained the land is and how many stock etc but just looking for some other peoples thoughts on this. Sorry such a rambling post!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: No buildings?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 07:40:53 am »
Native sheep and cattle were breed to be outdoors so they wont mind.  things to be aware of ............ you will need more land per head (and don't underestimate this) fields will get poached.......... think carefully about feeding and how you will manage this (a tractor just wouldn't get on our fields in the winter so large bale use is very limited)..... a quad and small bales copes with most things.

They don't need field shelters either provided you have trees/ good hedges to shelter from the worst weather.

They will need more feed when it is cold.

My Shetlands and Dexters are out wintered  .... and there is no reason to house sheep except for our convenience at lambing.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 07:46:52 am »
Getting shelter for the hay/straw would be my first concern.  You may have to sacrifice a fair amount this winter but if you can get a barn up before hay time next year then do not let lack of current facilities hold you back if the place is the right one for you.

We managed 4 horses and a handful of zwartbles sheep for a winter with no sheds. We got a tent to lamb in http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wind-shelter-for-sheep-incl-galvanised-gates-Kellfri-450-00-VAT-/121775354638?hash=item1c5a60730e:g:uiQAAOSwsB9WDQzJ

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 09:49:56 am »
I wouldn't say Shetland cattle are bred to live outdoors as the majority live inside all winter on Shetland.
however my shetlands live out all year and had no issues. mine utilise my woodland a lot for shelter.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 11:52:46 am »
I'd also think about the breed, when you're planning to calve, poaching around gateways and drinkers and provision of at least a field shelter for a sick animal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS