Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meat curing, advice please!  (Read 4641 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Meat curing, advice please!
« on: November 27, 2015, 04:35:57 pm »
I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice on curing hams and bacon? When i used to keep large blacks I never bothered curing the meat, that is after the first disaster! I decided to let a friend of mine who breeds excellent cured pork, cure the pigs. Firstly I think one of the problems was the fact she was in season when she went to slaughter, as the meat was very salty, secondly the cure was horrible with large black pork, but lovely with his own breed. My question now is..... what are the best cures for different types of pork and do you have to use separate mixes for different breeds? Or can you use the same mix/ingredients for any of the breeds available in the UK?  Could it have been because she was in season? I keep thinking maybe large black pork is supposed to be plain, as its much nicer without curing. What in your opinion would be the best curing methods/ingredients for large black pork, or any other breeds of pigs?
I hope I haven't complicated the Q's.
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
Re: Meat curing, advice please!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 08:39:23 pm »
Hiya

I don't have experience of large blacks specifically or answer the question about whether a gilt in season makes the meat salty (not heard that before). I got some advice from a pal who runs a charcuterie business which stood me in good stead which was to start with simple cures and then try different ones after you've mastered the basics. For bacon I use 30g of salt per kg of meat, rub it into the belly or loin and vac pack/ seal, then chilling and leaving for 10-14 days, then rinse and hang/ dry for 2 days before slicing. I also sometimes add the same % of muscovado sugar. Results have been super with Tamworth, Saddleback, Mangalitza and Old Spot.

Hams I wet cure and use a 20% salt to water for 10 days. Along the way redo the cure if it gets mucky looking. Then I rinse and soak in clean water overnight. This has worked well for me with large boned joints and smaller hocks. I then add more flavour via a glaze when I roast.

Hope that helps.
Martha

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 12:08:17 pm »
Thanks for that. I will bear it in mind for the future
Cheers
WBF
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 02:10:41 pm »
I have done bacon and went down the Hugh Furnley W route however using the old traditional method (salty) was no good for me so followed the tried and tested recipes on here:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=561 curing using sulphates

Had old spots & lops.  Not sure if there is any difference in pork.

Recently did the ham in a bag too. Prev to this made hams using the HFW recipes with cider however they came out like bricks and were inedible therefore after reading on the Sausage making forums went for low fluid and again cures.

Made pancetta using HFW and went very well - I dont roll I just dry it and chop bits up into 100g bags ready for bolognese etc.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 03:16:10 pm »
The original HFW recipes for wet brining are far far too salty, and even HFW has changed the salt amounts in later books.    I based my recipes on those of "Hilary's mum", somewhere on this forum, and after many attempts made up all my brines with 160 g salt + 80 g sugar per litre of liquid, and immersed the joint for 3.5 days per kg of meat.   Liquid can be all water, or half/half water and bitter or cider, sugar can be anything from white to light brown, muscovado or black treacle.    This cures the meat perfectly well and the finished product is definitely not too salty.   Have no idea whether you need different cures for different breeds of pigs, but I would doubt it, mine were Tamworth and Saddlebacks, nor do I think a pig being in season would make any difference.   

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 03:25:17 pm »
HFW's methods for bacon are totally useless. You might as well butter some bread and just pour some salt onto it. His methods are very poor in terms of food hygiene and if he was producing stuff for sale to the public most of it wouldn't get past the EHO. Do you really trust a bloke who makes a program about making flapjack then goes straight outside and feeds it to his pigs?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 05:28:26 pm »
Which recipes would everyone else recommend though if not HFW?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 06:13:13 pm »
I use Steven Lambs book. Since he teaches as HFW may be the same don't know. I find the product excellent but then I can't see the point in bacon that isn't salty. For dry curing he emphasises the spray dried (flaked) salt rather that table salt style crystals.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 08:12:50 am »
If you're new to dry curing it's best to buy a curing salt ready to use from one of the suppliers such as Weschenfelder or similar. This will contain salt and sodium nitrite E250 which is helps maintain a nice pink colour and also helps defend against botulinum bacteria.  The method is very simple. Use the cure manufacturer's % cure to meat weight. Rub it into the pork. Vac pack or wrap tightly in cling film to seal. Place in the fridge for 5-7 days. Take it out and rinse well under a cold tap. Pat it dry with paper towels and place in the fridge unwrapped to dry further for another 24 hours. To aid slicing place the bacon into the freezer for about 2 hours to stiffen. Slice. Bob's your uncle.
Gammon can be done this way too but will need to be in the cure for three weeks or so depending on the size of the leg. Bellies will cure in about three days due to being thinner.
A small, cheap domestic vac packer costing less than a hundred quid will do the job perfectly well.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 08:56:49 am »
To Hughesy's method I would add that during the 5-7 days in the fridge the packet needs to be turned over each and every day.   This is because the dry salt almost immediately liquifies, and if it is left in one position the whole time, there is uneven curing at the top and bottom of the meat.

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 10:02:57 am »
To add to what Hughesy and Tamsaddle have said...
If you find the meat salty, soak it in a bucket of clean water for 12 -24 hours before slicing - this helps take away the saltiness  :yum:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 11:25:08 am »
To Hughesy's method I would add that during the 5-7 days in the fridge the packet needs to be turned over each and every day.   This is because the dry salt almost immediately liquifies, and if it is left in one position the whole time, there is uneven curing at the top and bottom of the meat.
I used to turn it but having forgotten a few times and discovered that it made no difference I don't bother anymore. The vac packing or wrapping tightly is the important part as it keeps the salt and/or dissolved salt in the same place as the meat so it can do it's work. If you do wrap in clingfilm I'd advise placing the package in a plastic tub or tray as a lot of liquid will escape through the film and drip everywhere. No need if it's vac packed.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 08:25:57 pm »
I would second the bit about Vacpacking. I have one of the Trespade ones from Weschenfelder (about £100) and it's brilliant. Well worth the investment. Makes basic bacon curing really straightforward with no leaks and less need for daily attention and it also assists in keeping meat in really good condition in the freezer.
Martha R

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS