Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kunes in Yorkshire  (Read 1881 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Kunes in Yorkshire
« on: November 26, 2015, 09:49:45 am »
Hi,

I have recently purchased some meat line kunes from Wales and just wondered if anyone else in the area is breeding or raising kunes for meat, either meat lines or show lines?. I know some of you have got some good results in terms of fat % from the mature adults that you butcher but am interested in the difference, if any in feeding rations for the lean, meat type compared to the chunky show type as I have both ?

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: Kunes in Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 10:44:34 am »
Hi Buffy,

My next door neighbours in Leeds breed and raise Kunes for meat. They supply a local farm shop with pork from them, amongst other breeds.

I took a Kune boar off them a couple of years ago and raised him to 27 weeks. He killed out at 87kg, and just under 13mm back fat. I fed him too much in hindsight, 2lbs twice a day of growers - he should have been much fatter! And then there was the time he broke out and ate pig nuts until he couldn't get up he was that stuffed  :D

Can't comment on show/meat types as he was my only experience, but he tasted delish!  :yum:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 11:00:37 am »
Ha ha! Oh lordy Sophie you did over feed him! And yet it would seem by his break out behaviour that he was still just a teeny bit peckish ;D  I think from what you have said that he was entire? That would explain why he didnt lay down as much fat as you would expect him to.

I should really pop over and visit you and your neighbour. I think I would get allot out of it. Especially before you up sticks. Where abouts are you?

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 03:33:57 pm »
I had him living with some Berkshire boars so giving him a smaller ration would have been difficult - but yes he liked his grub!  :D Yes he was entire, I'd have kept him as a pet because he had lovely temperament but his house mates got rather aggressive and its was a case of if one goes they all go! Plus I'm not sure about a Large White/Kune cross!  ;D

We're in West Leeds, about 15 mins from the M62 near Ikea. I'll ask the neighbours if they have any Kunes in at the mo, they tend to rotate what they have a lot, was Magalitza and Tamworth last time I saw them. Sadly they don't seem to pick out particularly nice pigs, think they go for cost first.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 04:44:29 pm »
KK x Large white gives a cracking cross (young LW boar to km sow are the litters I've seen  ;)
White, lean kk type pigs - perfect for hog roasts  :yum:

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 05:48:07 pm »
Out of interest, what joints do you get from kunes?  I am thinking about getting some to fatten, but I thought there was a lot of fat on kunes so it is best turned into sausages?
I have been fattening large whites the last few years, so I guess it will be fairly different!

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:37:29 pm »
Big difference to Large whites  ;D
You get all the same cuts from kunekune.
Ours (bigger, meatier type) generally give a dead weight of around 50kg at between 10 and 12 months old - we treat the carcass in the same way you would amy other breed. Chops, gigot/loin joints, bacon (oh god, kk bacon is THE best  :yum:) sausages etc. They'll only be fatty if you feed them too much - 1-1.5lbs per day, plenty of space and grazing, don't try and rush them and you will be rewarded for your patience  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS