Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it time for them to go?  (Read 3682 times)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
Is it time for them to go?
« on: November 25, 2015, 07:05:46 pm »
What should I do? 

I have two ponies who I love but I have not ridden for 10 years due to a bad back.  They're happy enough and are hardly any trouble and I'd never sell or loan as I have heard too many horror stories.  OH suggested I get rid of them which horrified me but got me thinking - what is their future? They plod around on a postage stamp in the summer and in a larger patch in winter.  Alice hates wearing a rug but gets too cold without one and will not tolerate being in for long- Guinness is angelic in the field but is somewhere between exciting and scary to ride.  I love them both but if they are just going to plonk around until illness, accident or old age take them ...
Never ever give up.

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
Re: Is it time for them to go?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 10:29:16 pm »
Hi Liz, they do become part the family don't they. I used to (when I was much younger) have a welsh section A with a vile temper and who used to buck terribly but I kept him till he was 28 because although ha was a complete pain in the ass, he was my pain in the ass and all his quirks endeared him to be more. Plus I used to bounce in those days when I fell off. These days it's more of a dull thud and a crunch of broken bones! :-) how old are they? Can they both be ridden or are they erring on the side of retirement?

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 08:58:55 am »
I think that it is too soon Liz.

I agree with you about the planning ahead and not wanting them to die in pain due to illness but they are not at that stage yet. You clearly love them and they sound like they are cared for and content so as Claire says if you can afford them and it brings you pleasure to own them then do that.

You cant ever really justify keeping animals as most of us do on this site if you quantify income against output. So whether its happy hackers, farm cats, working dogs, laid back layers or rare breed sheep, if we sat down and did a detailed cost / benefit analysis or asked ourselves what was the point we probably couldn't justify any of it.

I'm sure that if we took the same analytical approach to having children or getting married then we wouldnt do that either. :-J

So the future plan for them is to love them, to enjoy sharing your life with them and to delight in the satisfaction of knowing that you were in the fortunate position of being able to keep them in your life until they reach a time when you know that the kindest thing is to let them go.

When we are old and grey, those of us who keep animals for pleasure will remember the animals that brought joy into our lives not the amount of money that we saved on the feed bill by having them PTS.

I hope you have lots more happy years ahead together. :horse: :love: :horse: [size=78%]   [/size][/size]You will know when it's the right time. [size=78%] :hug:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 09:57:25 am »
Liz I respect your honesty in your post. With our "farm animals" we would make this decision easier and without attracting the wrath of others perhaps. At the end of the day the decision is yours.

I haven't been in your position but certainly I would consider the PTS option where I couldn't be sure they would have a good home or could end up being passed on and I had no say in the matter. Particularly when a horse wasn't a straightforward ride and could be a danger to someone or themselves.

I say this not to sound uncaring or making any judgement on your situation or what your outcome might be but whenever we have any animal pts it has not known either about you thinking about it or indeed, what is happening when the job is done. The feelings are all ours to deal with.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 06:38:48 pm »
Thanks everyone for your support.  All your comments reflect what I have been thinking - only you say it better.  The place is too small to be commercial but the sheep, dog, cat and ducks all have a purpose and therefore a place here.  I can't do the farm work without help so when my nearest and dearest suggests any of the animals have outstayed their welcome I have to consider the options because running the place is hard enough even when we're working together.

Both ponies are about 15 years old.  Guinness is great fun but needs a good rider.  Alice is only barely broken in and last time I sat on her she bucked me straight off - I don't bounce like I used to.

Having discussed again with OH it turns out his suggestion came from concern at their unemployment and lack of stimulation. I can't see me suddenly getting more time to play with them so some effort towards environment enrichment might improve matters.  The immediate issue is Alice's dislike of rugs which might be helped with a field shelter - not cheep but I'd rather starve than "get rid" and anyway they are not getting any younger and the sheep might use a shelter too.

Thank you all again for your comments and suggestions.  Food for thought and I'll return to this when the question comes up again ... which it will.

Round 1 to the ponies :trophy: :excited: :trophy:
Never ever give up.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 12:01:13 pm »
Hi Scarlet,  What a bunch of characters you have and your dedication puts me to shame.  I like your suggestion about finding a rider for Guinness.
Never ever give up.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 03:32:40 pm »
I've come to the conclusion the TB thinks she's an Exmoor.  It stands to reason; she looks around the field and all she can see is Exmoors so she must be one too.  The Exmoors look around and they can see 2 Exmoors and 1 TB; it stands to reason that they must therefore be TBs because it would be a balanced mix.  Consequently every time there's a drop of rain or a cold wind I have 3 Exmoors demanding to be let in to the barn, and a TB "braving it" in the middle of the field.  I've just had to go out in a blizzard to bring her down to the field shelter!!!

I love this  :thumbsup:   :D

Shall you write a book?  Crowdfund it, I'll pre-order!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 01:18:07 am »
Scarlet Dragon beat me to it, wouldn't it be lovely to see some capable youngsters putting them through their paces, you could even get something towards their feed?
Would agree about insurance though, that would be the first thing to settle on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS