Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: geese  (Read 1619 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
geese
« on: November 25, 2015, 03:34:23 pm »
has anyone raised table geese successfully without grower pellets apart from the first 8 weeks, I know you can raise them on grass to a certain weight but wondered about getting them bigger ie do they eat shedded veg carrots etc and apples put though the wood chipper which are plentifull in autumn...... if so I think I would have to introduce them to veg and apples early as they seem to be picky when older

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: geese
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 03:52:13 pm »
We only feed corn (either wheat or at the moment flaked cooked maize) in addition to grass (the quality of which is now not very good anymore). I wouldn't think you have got enough protein in carrots or apples, but when I was a kid and we raised about a dozen geese every summer they did get grated carrot with their wheat. It is a lot of work though....(although nowadays an electric kitchen gadget will probably do it a lot faster).

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 07:10:35 pm »
Mine get a handful of whole wheat morning and night but if I throw down apples, pears or a broken open marrow or such they love it!

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 08:46:43 pm »
I've got very limited experience but my guess would be you might want to get your geese started early so that you could finish them whilst there is still some goodness in the grass.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 11:49:54 pm »
Mine get whole barley or mixed corn as a top up.  It works. At this time of year, they'll instinctively gorge themselves on it to build fat reserves for migrating.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS