Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: torch advice  (Read 4798 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
torch advice
« on: November 22, 2015, 06:55:24 pm »
We get through torches at a ridiculous rate. Maybe we're jinxed but you can guarantee that when we need the reassurance of a good sturdy light the latest blooming thing has packed up. any tips for what is the most reliable, sturdy, hardwearing torch out there. Christmas is coming and i'm sure the OH would prefer this to that necklace she's been banging on about all year.

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
Re: torch advice
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 08:26:24 pm »
Without a doubt Mag Lite.
Come in all shapes and sizes, variable beam width, Made from aluminium, strong and reliable.
Only problem is that i'm not sure if they do a rechargeable version, however the batteries do last well.
I've had mine for 15 years, use it regularly and only changed the bulb once.

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 08:43:24 pm »
We have a variety of led lenses torches. From the keyring to the head torch. Found them very good so far

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:55:41 pm »
^ Ditto re LED Lenser hand held torches. However, I had less luck with the headtorch version which broke after less than a year and was replaced under warranty. The warranty replacement also broke after 6 months.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 10:58:50 pm »
My makita torch never lets me down.  18v lion battery.  compatible with all most my tools. 

Plus when I give it to my misses I always treat it as a tool - so go fetch it after its chucked in the hedge after her use.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 11:00:11 pm »
Its like Oakleys - if its cost your £100 - you tend to look after them.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 07:40:50 am »
I've got a couple of LED Lenser head torches. Couldn't manage without them and never had any trouble with them. I never even think of hand held torches anymore.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 08:03:38 am »
I have an led cyclists headtorch got it as xmas present, it is fantastic would'nt be without it although it only lasts a few days when using it every night and the light starts to dim but plug in to recharger, you musn't let it go completely out o charge or that's the end of it apparently. The beam is as bright as a car headlight. I do prefer the yellow light of traditional torches but they always run out of power fast as well and they always end up broken you never have enough hands. Headtorch all the way.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 08:43:34 am »
Some of the LED head torches are a pain if you are wearing glasses... the beam from them reflects in your glasses and you see bugger all.... I have an older head torch (not as flat and with the battery pack still at the back of the head, so a bit clunkier) but it works by directing the beam further away. Wouldn't be without it...

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 08:55:04 am »
Ahem, I've never left the Makita in the hedge........

I like a head torch.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 02:51:45 pm »
Another vote for head torches when feeding up, and small jobs outside,
But we also have a 'stick torch', about £25, screw fix or toolstation,  not sure which,
21 led, used upright, hook on top & magnet on back. Sticks to the side of the freezer by the door so we know where it is. Rechargable and so far battery lasts well. Seems robust as well, rubber covering, been dropped a couple of times onto hard flooring .

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 03:06:45 pm »
Just as hand held torches I bought a 100 led one off ebay years ago.. still works. We have a few of those stick led thingies for power cuts. For my few pet sheep I'd just drive over with a 4x4 and use it;s headights (or the quad). It woudn;t take much ingenuity to rewire one of those led solar power flood lights to a portable.. or even just stick one where the stock is. I have one down by the far barn where i park my car and while the pir range isn't very good the illumination is pretty decent from one large surface mount led.

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 06:30:44 pm »
we use the Rechargeable LED Work Light 10w & 5w cost £20 & £25from screwfix

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 11:16:01 pm »
Thought 21 led sounded wrong, 28 led in our torch stick

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 06:48:51 am »
A few of the "cheap" supermarkets are doing LEDs with magnetic and hook options built in.

I use lots of these.  Some pounds shops do them - the best design seems to be the black circular one. 

The only pain is that they're usually a small screw to replace the batteries and thus you need to change them back home rather than outside, so hence having enough to "rotate".  Hook works well in clothing, magnetic bit is okay on metal sheds.

I have a head torch knocking around for when I need two hands but I can't get on with it normally - the elastic never seems to stay attached or tensioned properly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS