Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Below par chook  (Read 1862 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Below par chook
« on: November 21, 2015, 07:35:45 pm »
One of our 3 year old marans has been a bit 'off' for the last few weeks so I have been keeping an eye on her. However recently we have had to rescue her from being gang banged by an over enthusiastic young RIR (7 months old who was bought as a pullet at 9 weeks....) and the hens were also giving her a hard time. So I have removed her from the flock and put her in a warm dry cage with food and water to see if she will perk up.
She eats apple v enthusiastically but doesn't seem to be eating much else - she is pretty skinny now but on reflection I think that might be because she has been bullied off food for a while. Her crop doesn't feel swollen, but she has quite watery poo. I have tried yoghurt with her pellets but she's not interested in that either.
I was going to keep her in isolation until she gets stronger and can rejoin the flock.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Below par chook
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 06:27:05 am »
When was she last wormed Sudanpan?

Apple in moderation because the natural sugars promote bad bacteria in the digestive system.

You may have a problem re-introducing her as she will effectively be a newcomer after a few weeks. In my experience chickens have poor memories of flock members. But isolation is certainly what she needs.

I can recommend Avipro Avian to sort out digestive disorders.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 02:43:47 pm »
 :gloomy:  chook died in the night  :'(

Have given the chicken coop a thorough clean out and disinfectant.

As for worming - I've recently started using the Vermex food additive regime.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 05:09:38 pm »
Flubenvet is effective.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS