Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pricing our birds right:  (Read 1476 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Pricing our birds right:
« on: November 21, 2015, 11:25:08 am »
With our geese we're thinking of asking from around £35-40+ for xmas pricing them at £8 per kg which we've worked out at that price for a 16lb (7kg) bird would be £56 dressed & delivery included if need be, but on the other end of the scale it would be £28 for a 8lb (3.5kg) bird, which I've found after doing geese for many years you don't see many 8lb geese, (Sorry it's weird for food weights I'm used to working in lbs & live animals kgs, so I don't mean to confuse you.  But we haven't done any for a couple of years & always used to charge around £30 a bird starting price & butchers have told me thats cheap now & geese are going for closer to £50+  of course I don't want to charge lower than £30 really due to putting in around £20 worth of food into each bird over the year & the slaughter fees ect & the prices I've listed a local butcher is willing to pay me if I have any spare birds.

So I wanted to know do my prices seem fair? & it is including delivery if need be, within reason. Or is it best for me to maybe just do a base fee of say £2.50 - £5.00 + the weight of the bird = Total price?

Ideas & advice would be much appreciated xx.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Pricing our birds right:
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 01:28:10 pm »
We've just ordered Turkey for Noel from a local farmer. You can't get whole ones in the supermarkets where we are. The prices rise from €5.50 / Kg for the remainder of the year to €9.25 / Kg when collected on 23rd December. So that may indicate how much you can inflate the price for Christmas Shropshirelass because he is only selling them to the English. We compared the price in Sainsburys which, when converted, I think was €10.50.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 02:31:55 pm »
So to be fair I think on that currency conversion our price is about right

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 08:50:57 pm »
We charge £40 per goose which usually end up fairly reliably in the 4-5kg range and £10/kilo for turkeys (ranging 4-8kg ish - always a couple of big fellas at 10kgs who we have trouble shifting so they get donated to the local homeless shelter) . Last year we sold out so are doing more this year and hopefully will do again!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS