Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pink eye desperation - help please!  (Read 24948 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Pink eye desperation - help please!
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2015, 01:35:17 am »

That's great LadyK.  I'm so glad you're getting on top of the problem now.  It's very interesting to read of the results of your research  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2015, 08:56:00 am »
Haven't seen this thread for a few days and some fairly strong feelings seem to have been stirred up.  Surely the point of this forum is to seek and offer advice, experience and informed views.  Some folks are bound to have strong views on some subjects, for a variety of reasons, but, hey, that's life.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2015, 11:41:38 am »

I didn't intend to cause anyone to stomp off in a huff.  I reserve the right though to stand up against anything I perceive to be cruel, to any living creature, anywhere.

TAS is read worldwide, and by failing to make my comments heard, I could have been seen to be tacitly agreeing with them.  This in turn could lead to a spreading of the cruelty.

The product advised is not certified for spraying into eyes.  We know from the person who accidentally did so that it hurts a lot.  Why then would it be justifiable to go ahead?

I think we have worn the subject out now and the OP has made her decision.  Can we please drop it?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2015, 05:01:29 pm »
I would just let it ride, now, folks.  We all have a right to express our views; as FW says, sometimes it's a duty.

And every so often, pretty much all of us - especially vocal ones who aren't afraid to be controversial ;) - need to take a wee timeout from TAS. 

I hope Me will call back in when he's had a break.  If we don't make too big a deal of it all, he probably will ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2015, 08:48:52 am »
Last year I used the spray method which I found effective. The method I used was to spray into the lid and dab onto the corner of the eye with a cotton bud.(use a new bud on each eye to prevent cross contamination). Alternatively drill a small hole in the top of the lid and spray more accurately. Less mess and less stinging.
I believe in New Zealand this is the recommended treatment for pink eye.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2015, 11:08:28 am »
So is it just that a change of antibiotics Cloxacilln versus terramycin provides a more effective treatment? are we seeing an antibiotic resistant strain of pink eye?

Or is there something in the action of using a spray irritant into the eye which triggers a reaction / speedier healing?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2015, 07:03:33 pm »
Taking away the aerosol would make it gentler.  We ve all had to use some ointments and drops but it all subsides doesnt it,  things sting, and settle.  And if they work, brilliant.   Touch wood and  :fc:  We ve never had eye problems here.  Except for the odd atrophy at birth, then we used the little syringe of ab eye ointment, perhaps the same one, shall check and report back.  Never used sprays either for eyes, but will continue to read this thread to learn more, never stop learning ! :dunce:  Lol

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2015, 07:15:16 pm »
Was thinking more along the lines that whatever products were used in the spray ( as a propellant, carrier for the drug ect) had an irritant  / caustic effect.  Having watched numerous eye ulcers being "treated" in this way ( on dogs) it would offer perhaps an explanation for some improvement in some cases at least. having it propelled onto the eye  as a spray may or may not be the best method of administration.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2015, 03:24:25 pm »
I do wonder whether gathering and treating animals is causing reinfection as much as it's helping  :-\ 

I would think it's easier to avoid getting germs on oneself (and on the tube, if using one) by using a spray.

And I certainly think there is often a case for allowing the disease a few days, for the animal's own immune response to get invoked, before treating any persistent cases. 

I've done a bit of googling and will be getting some Leucillin for our medicine cupboard too.  I'll see if the local agri merchant has some, otherwise Leucillin spray is available on eBay linky

For those of a scientific bent, this paper may be of interest linky
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2015, 04:23:21 pm »
I've only ever used Orbenin, daily for about 5 days (tricky to start with but you soon get skilled in applying it).  Worked for me, plus also separating all affected animals immediately and removing any hay racks etc that could cause bits getting into eyes etc.

I'm sure I was once told of a remedy that involved used engine oil!  (obviously don't try that one at home kids!!)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2015, 07:01:53 pm »

This part of the DEFRA web entry for 'Terramycin foot spray'..   Please note in particular paras 4.4 and 4.5

SUMMARY OF PRODUCT CHARACTERISTICS

1.      NAME OF THE VETERINARY MEDICINAL PRODUCT

TERRAMYCIN™ AEROSOL SPRAY
3.92% w/w cutaneous spray

2.      QUALITATIVE AND QUANTITATIVE COMPOSITION

Active ingredient
Oxytetracycline hydrochloride       3.92% w/w

Excipient
   Patent Blue V (E131)         0.192% w/w

For the full list of all other excipients see section 6.1

3.      PHARMACEUTICAL FORM

Cutaneous spray, solution.

4.   CLINICAL PARTICULARS

4.1   Target species

Cattle and sheep.

4.2   Indications for use, specifying the target species

General: for the treatment and control of topical infections caused by, or associated  with, organisms sensitive to oxytetracycline.

Specific: treatment of digital dermatitis in cattle and treatment of foot rot and scald in sheep.

4.3   Contraindications

None.

4.4   Special warnings for each target species

For external use only.
   Do not spray in or near the eyes.

4.5   Special precautions for use

(i)   Special precautions for use in animals

Do not spray in or near eyes.

Use only in a well ventilated area.
For external use only.

(ii)   Special precautions to be taken by the person administering the                    veterinary medicinal product to animals

Use only in a well-ventilated area.
   Wash any splashes immediately.
   Operator should wear impervious gloves.
   Wash hands after use.
   Extremely flammable.
   Do not pierce or burn, even after use.
   Do not spray on a naked flame or any incandescent material.
   Keep away from sources of ignition – No smoking.
People with known hypersensitivity to oxytetracycline should avoid contact with the product.

Continued..........
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:06:38 pm by Fleecewife »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2015, 11:49:25 pm »
Now that we all know we can get Leucillin as a spray, which kills bacteria and doesn't hurt in the eyes, I can't think that anyone would be contemplating using terramycin, which most of us have at some time sprayed on our own cut skin if not our eyes, and know fine well it stings, even if only briefly.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2015, 11:53:56 pm »
Now that we all know we can get Leucillin as a spray, which kills bacteria and doesn't hurt in the eyes, I can't think that anyone would be contemplating using terramycin, which most of us have at some time sprayed on our own cut skin if not our eyes, and know fine well it stings, even if only briefly.

Definitely Sally  :thumbsup:

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
  • holmfirth, west yorkshire
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2015, 06:41:45 am »
def worth giving that Leucillin spray a go next time I have an outbreak

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 07:02:30 am »
def worth giving that Leucillin spray a go next time I have an outbreak

agreed Firther it would be interesting to see some comparative stats for this treatment versus more traditional approaches.

Lets hope people are able to post some updates when they have had to try it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS