Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New regulations for killing poultry  (Read 4930 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
New regulations for killing poultry
« on: November 20, 2015, 02:38:58 pm »
I've just received a letter from the local Trading Standards, informing me about the new 'Welfare of animals at the time of killing regulations 2015'. The letter states that anyone slaughtering small numbers of poultry or rabbits must now have a Certificate of Competence from the FSA, although there are specific exemptions. The only exemption I can find is if you are killing the poultry on your own property and they are eaten on that property by yourself and members of your immediate family.

There must be many people in my situation where I am rearing a very small number of turkeys (3) for myself and a couple of friends for Christmas! I'm not selling them - the friends are paying for their keep, that's all.

Am I interpreting this correctly? What are other people doing?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: New regulations for killing poultry
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 05:18:51 pm »
If anybody asks, just say that your friends slaughtered their turkeys themselves.

Doubt anyone will ask, though.  :)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 06:27:41 am »
Curious to know how the Trading Standards knows of you to send a letter like that Daleswoman? Has someone told them you are selling slaughtered poultry?

As Eve said I'd just ignore it as they are going to have to film you giving turkeys away if they wish to take matters any further. You'll have to wrap them up in black bags in future.

Robyn

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 07:26:42 am »
Curious to know how the Trading Standards knows of you to send a letter like that Daleswoman?

couldn't agree more

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 01:43:08 pm »
Trading Standards contacted me recently as they'd been notified of a pig movement from here but didn't know that I was keeping livestock. Apparently the local authority keeps a record of livestock holdings in their area. They wanted to know what livestock and poultry I was keeping, so now I guess I am on their mailing list.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 02:55:25 pm »
I've just had a read through the new regulations, some added stuff such as stunning etc but basically the regulations are still the same.

If you home kill for personal consumption no licensing is required.

If you kill for someone else it is.

As Eve mentioned, the only way around it is for your friends to buy them from you live and do the deed themselves.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 04:08:13 pm »
Trading Standards contacted me recently as they'd been notified of a pig movement from here but didn't know that I was keeping livestock. Apparently the local authority keeps a record of livestock holdings in their area. They wanted to know what livestock and poultry I was keeping, so now I guess I am on their mailing list.
Do you have a CPH number?  If you keep pigs I don't see how you could not have one.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 07:44:45 pm »
These new regulations are news to me. I'm surprised there has not been any comments about them. As far as I can tell supplying poultry or rabbits for the consumption of others you now need a Certificate of Competence. This could have big implications for small scale (however small) producers. Also, the regulations state that for any bird or rabbit over 5kg they should be electrically stunned. Puts a bit of a spanner in the works for those rearing turkeys or geese for Christmas. Up to 3kg you can 'manually stun' by hand and between 3kg and 5kg a mechanical device is required. I don't know if this subject has been addressed in smallholder magazines but there does not seem to have been much publicity about it.
Here is the link to the new regulations:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/slaughter-poultry-livestock-and-rabbits-for-home-consumption

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 12:43:31 pm »
You need a certificate of competence which costs £25 and a form to fill with signature from your vet (who may charge of course) and possibly slightly adjust methods.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/474192/form-ws19.pdf

It doesn't seem too bad to me.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 04:22:56 pm »
Application for a WATOK Licence

That just made my day. I may have to apply, as it would look great on my CV: "Fully trained and WATOK licensed"  :).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 06:42:33 pm »
When I got my electric stunner I got a "provisional" licence, then I had a DEFRA vet come out and see me kill ducks.
He signed my certificate of competence, didn't cost me a penny.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 12:23:09 pm »
These new regulations are news to me. I'm surprised there has not been any comments about them. As far as I can tell supplying poultry or rabbits for the consumption of others you now need a Certificate of Competence. This could have big implications for small scale (however small) producers. Also, the regulations state that for any bird or rabbit over 5kg they should be electrically stunned. Puts a bit of a spanner in the works for those rearing turkeys or geese for Christmas. Up to 3kg you can 'manually stun' by hand and between 3kg and 5kg a mechanical device is required. I don't know if this subject has been addressed in smallholder magazines but there does not seem to have been much publicity about it.
Here is the link to the new regulations:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/slaughter-poultry-livestock-and-rabbits-for-home-consumption

These regulations you mentioned are not new, the weight limits came into force within the EU 3 years ago.

Anyone killing an animal not for home consumption needs to be suitably qualified, this has been the case for many years.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:19:37 pm by Clansman »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS