Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The problem of urban foxes released into the countryside  (Read 14209 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: The problem of urban foxes released into the countryside
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 10:36:47 am »

<<< Well, I've had an invitation to leave all I have to them and a list of dogs for adoption (oh and a message to say they didn't understand my question!) I can't find a 'phone number to call them but will keep trying!! >>>

I love it  :roflanim:   Well, only momentarily because they should be completely transparent in what they do.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 10:53:33 am »
Folks, remember that there are specific charities such as the National Fox Welfare Trust. It doesn't seem that they're involved in relocating urban foxes for the hell of it, but they do rescue and rehabilitate injured foxes and then release them into the wild (where of course they won't usually have the skills to survive naturally, and also won't be afraid of people, thus causing them to then come after your livestock).

You can even volunteer to offer a safe release site if you wish. Don't all rush at once!  :innocent:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 12:02:54 pm »
Some more thoughts FW

I guess there are several issues. The brief trawl of the internet i carried out suggested that this problem was certainly anecdotal - but that whether it was true was  less universally accepted. Is that  a widely held view? As a starting point I would suggest there is
1. A need to collate country wided data of where and when dead castrated male foxes are shot / corpses found in rural environments. Is there an identifed pattern / area of the country?
2. Identify who can and will verify that data.
3. Collate photographs (including pictures of shaved fur or purple spray on foxes as described above)

On that basis the fact of rehabilitation of foxes into the wild from urban areas is more likely to be universally accepted which must be the baseline before a successful campaign to stop it.  Then should the approach be to challenge the RSPCA and its equivalents on the steps they are taking to educate the misguided and to prosecute the cruel involved in this.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 01:01:02 pm »

Good points - BUT someone has to do all that research.  It would require a whole lot of organisation, the devotion of masses of time, the ability to organise a campaign and in fact an action group.  As I've said earlier, I don't have the skills or abilities to do that, so unless someone here does, and is prepared to take it on, then it just isn't going to happen. 

My original idea was simply to publicise the anecdotal evidence to make sure as many people as possible who might be involved in moving these animals into the countryside would have cause to think again.   I thought of Springwatch as they will have a giant budget which they can use for some initial research before they decide if there's a case to answer.

In fact there are likely already groups involved in preventing this - just need to find them.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 01:49:27 pm »
Yes. A huge task. I will also see if I can identify a group already collating this and post if I do.

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 03:42:14 pm »
I think Springwatch in an excellent idea. I live in a city and know people who feed foxes (you can't say anything to them as they fly into a rage) and they very much see themselves as animal lovers* and one definitely watches Springwatch. They could extend it a little to other animals as unfortunately I know someone who does this with RATS. I don't really understand why it is cruel to kill a rat but not to take what is a very intelligent and social animals and dump it in a strange place on its own but there you go. This person is also a big fox fan and feeds and encourages them despite keeping chickens.

As a thought, re. fox dumping. Could pest control companies be doing some dumping? I am not sure that shooting would be allowed in an urban area so maybe some unscrupulous ones trap them then just chuck them out of the van later. Saves on bullets and body disposal.

*As a bit of a defence, city people are very much removed from nature and starved of it. A city is an unnatural place for Homo sapiens and they are likely to do strange and aggravating things in such a strange habitat.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:44:37 pm by Min »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 04:36:20 pm »
Thank you Ghdp - that's great.

Some perceptive comments Min.  We used to live in Edinburgh too, eons ago - the vixens would walk up and down the middle of the street screaming alarmingly for a mate.  Sounded like someone was being murdered.  They would have standoffs with our cats, and hedgehogs would keep them away from their feeding bowls by sitting in them.  We wouldn't have dreamed of feeding the foxes, but they came off the golf course into our garden.

Rats are really intelligent, but sadly they have to go but by the most humane method possible.  But people don't like their tails, whereas foxes look very cute and appealing, with big fluffy brushes.   Mmmm!    I do see your point about people in cities being starved of wildlife, so they love to 'tame' foxes and badgers to come into their gardens, seagulls too.  That's all fine but why are these poor foxes then dumped out into the countryside.  In fact I'm wondering if those who feed foxes might actually be our allies, as they can appreciate the cruelty of taking their pets and dumping them where they will inevitably die, by one method or another.

So is it worth looking further into the pest control companies, or are they even less likely to admit to dumping?

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 05:45:40 pm »
The chances of you getting an honest answer from the RSPCA is pretty much nill. They are a loathsome organisation!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 07:31:26 am »
The chances of you getting an honest answer from the RSPCA is pretty much nill.

Their legal department would not allow them to give an answer as it may be used against them.

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 09:31:23 am »
That's all fine but why are these poor foxes then dumped out into the countryside.  In fact I'm wondering if those who feed foxes might actually be our allies, as they can appreciate the cruelty of taking their pets and dumping them where they will inevitably die, by one method or another.

Hmm, yes I didn't think of that. And then it could be gently suggested to stop feeding them.  ;) Now I have to admit I do like to see an urban fox now and again but making pets of them is just not right.

I have been racking my brains on how to deal with potential rouge(sp?) pest control companies and I can't think of anything. They would deny it and catching them at it might be difficult and potentially hazardous as they might get aggressive when caught in the act. What is that other programme where they chase dodgy business people about in the street? Watchdog? What would we do without the BBC!  :D

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2015, 11:00:22 am »
Now that's what I like ..... lateral thinking!  Shall we suggest Watchdog investigates?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2015, 11:35:38 am »

It would definitely be worth asking them and seeing if they would take it on.  It's not a programme I watch, but if this is the sort of investigation they might carry out then yes, please do contact them  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2015, 01:27:05 pm »
What about talking the the NFU, wouldn't they look into it, especially seeing as it is illegal and causes damage to farmers and smallholders???
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS