Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The problem of urban foxes released into the countryside  (Read 14210 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: The problem of urban foxes released into the countryside
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 03:15:20 pm »
We had one a few years ago. It was skin and bone and not the least bit scared of us. Killed a few chickens. Our local farmer shot it when it was trying to get his cats. I think dumping them in the country side is so cruel when they cannot look after themselves.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 03:56:39 pm »
Thats my main issue Ghdp.

in fact I would leave the whole " your fox ate my chicken" argument aside for fear of making the argument seem too emotive. I think that even if foxes were vegetarian it would still be unacceptable and cruel. They are territorial omnivores. Snatching them from their environment and moving them into what will be another wild foxes environment. Depriving them of the only food source they have known and the fact that they have no fear of people and are starving to death just makes them ore vulnerable to trapping or shooting.

What if someone snatched the RSPCA officers from their home, whipped their bits off and dumped them in the rain Forrest surrounded by forbidden fruits and hostile natives. Poor little buggers it breaks my heart. It's just so irresponsible.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 04:42:06 pm »
We all know the RSPCA are above the law........

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 11:21:15 pm »
I wonder that it is not offence under Animal Wefare Act 2006 to abandon an animal ( including a wild animal being released) where it is likley to suffer in the wild because it is ill equipped to survive or the place of release is unsuitable. Is that worth looking into FW?

Is anyone familiar with the law on this?

I have emailed the ScottishSPCA to ask what their policy is on release of urban foxes into the countryside.   Lets see if they reply.

Would someone like to do the same for the RSPCA please?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 08:06:38 am »
Will do so this morning!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2015, 12:19:32 pm »
Thank you Devonlady  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 12:08:37 pm »

I got this reply from the ScottishSPCA:

<< Thanks for your email, This isn’t something we would do, We would only attend to injured or sick foxes. If you have foxes coming into the garden that you want out. This is the number for the fox deterrence helpline who can give you advice 07771361226>>

My question to them was : << Could you please let me know what the ScottishSPCA's policy is on the capture of urban foxes and their release into the countryside.>>

Have you had a reply from the RSPCA Devonlady?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 12:37:17 pm »

What if someone snatched the RSPCA officers from their home, whipped their bits off and dumped them in the rain Forrest surrounded by forbidden fruits and hostile natives. Poor little buggers it breaks my heart. It's just so irresponsible.

Well I can't comment your comment with regard to RSPCA officers  :thinking:

A lot of Urban foxes are in a poor way in towns. It is not their natural habitat and they are over populated but deal with it there don't pass the problem.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 01:00:43 pm »
I'm afraid we can't humanize animals, it is cruel for the foxes to be treated that way, but we cannot compare them to humans because they're animals. They remind me, the officers not the foxes, of those politicians which are asked certain things on question time and they deliberately avoid the questions, so they don't have to lie but on the other hand they don't have to tell the truth either, a sort of self preservation against public accusation. Who would like to set up the petition? The thing is I don't know all the ins and outs of the case and especially how to pronounce it without sounding tit for tat.  We need it put straight to the point but in a heartfelt way not a nasty way. 
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 01:20:07 pm »
Amount of charitable funds spent on foxes, treatments/operations given and rehabilitation options Freedom of Information Request?

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 02:13:05 pm »
"In addition, practices such as the capturing and translocation of wildlife, for example taking foxes from urban to rural areas, may be an offence under this section if it is considered that on release the animal is not capable of fending for itself and living independently. As above, if the animal actually suffers as a result of this action an additional offence under Section 4 (Unnecessary Suffering) may be committed."

found the above in a technical bulletin TIN072 published by Natural England in reference to Animal Welfare Act 2006.
The sheer ignorance of those who still see the countryside as a film set, inhabited by fluffy creatures is generally depressing - though my pet badger feels differently

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 02:44:55 pm »
Amount of charitable funds spent on foxes, treatments/operations given and rehabilitation options Freedom of Information Request?

From what I learned in a recent RSPCA debacle involving some horses that they had shot even thought they had homes waiting, they can choose to opt out of FOI requests due to their charitable status.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 02:45:22 pm »
My son found a vixen about to scoff our SIlver Grey Dorking cockerel (1st prize Royal Three Counties) at 7.00 a.m. this morning.  Too skinny and mangy to be a country fox (went through the sheep wire to escape).  The cockerel had been so terrified it had repeatedly flown upwards in the run and the corrugated plastic roof had split away from the screws, so engineering its own demise.  Bang goes my SGD conservation breeding programme for 2016.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 03:05:58 pm »
My son found a vixen about to scoff our SIlver Grey Dorking cockerel (1st prize Royal Three Counties) at 7.00 a.m. this morning.  Too skinny and mangy to be a country fox (went through the sheep wire to escape).  The cockerel had been so terrified it had repeatedly flown upwards in the run and the corrugated plastic roof had split away from the screws, so engineering its own demise.  Bang goes my SGD conservation breeding programme for 2016.
Ah am so sorry to hear that, its horrible isn't it? I hope you manage to shoot the blasted fox when it comes back for more. We had a fox problem a few years back, but not anymore, in fact hardly any around my way now (maybe the odd one).
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 10:32:54 am »

I got this reply from the ScottishSPCA:

<< Thanks for your email, This isn’t something we would do, We would only attend to injured or sick foxes. If you have foxes coming into the garden that you want out. This is the number for the fox deterrence helpline who can give you advice 07771361226>>

Well, I've had an invitation to leave all I have to them and a list of dogs for adoption (oh and a message to say they didn't understand my question!) I can't find a 'phone number to call them but will keep trying!!

My question to them was : << Could you please let me know what the ScottishSPCA's policy is on the capture of urban foxes and their release into the countryside.>>

Have you had a reply from the RSPCA Devonlady?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS