Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to buy the man who has everything  (Read 7242 times)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
What to buy the man who has everything
« on: November 19, 2015, 12:57:36 pm »
Hi,
This year I'm really struggling to think what I can get get for my other half for Christmas, I am going to get him some of his favourite hand made chocolates, but what else to give him I really don't know, he has all the clothes, coats, waterproofs etc he could possibly need, his only hobby is sheepdog trialling and again he has everything he needs, although he would love it if I bought him a fully trained dog, but I would need to sell my pick up to be able to afford that. He doesn't drink alcohol or coffee, and tea has to be tetleys, I don't think he would appreciate a big bag of tea bags under the tree, he doesn't like things like smoked salmon, or speciality cheeses, books, music, technology or male grooming.
I did wonder about an experience day, I'm not sure if he would go in a helicopter or hot air balloon, and I don't think he could physically get into a tank, and he would probably fall out with someone trying to tell him what to do in a 4x4 and he thinks birds of prey are vermin.
So if any of you wonderful people have any suggestions as to what I might give him, they will be very gratefully received.
Regards
Sue

Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: What to buy the man who has everything
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:11:59 pm »
Try Gwyneth Paltro's web site for gift ideas ..... http://goop.com/the-goop-gift-guides/

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 01:16:34 pm »
I always think men in general are difficult to buy for.  Just racking my brains, and concentrating on his hobby as a starter......perhaps he has a favourite photo of himself sheepdog trialling, or his dog .....could you have a painting done>  I like Border Fine Art models.  Perhaps you could find him a nice sheepdog at work ....they seem to cover everything

I am sure lots of other ideas will be arriving on here soon.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 01:21:07 pm »
Hi Sue  :wave:
Next step up from Roxy's idea, how about making him a felted picture of him out with the dog and sheep, on your land, then frame it.  You have the skills  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 01:26:37 pm »
What about a nice knife? Knives are very useful :-)
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 01:41:33 pm »
Since he's got everything he needs, what about a donation to something like Kiva, where he can make loans to small businesses all over the world. I did this for my 50th, three years ago, and I'm still regularly reloaning my birthday money as it's repaid.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 02:53:33 pm »
I got my OH a carriage driving day once and he loved it, particularly when he got the horses bombing round obstacles.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 03:01:32 pm »
I got these for my husband a few years ago, he uses them all the time:
http://journeyman-leather.co.uk/agricultural/

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 03:44:12 pm »
Remember men are in general different from women in that they're fine with useful, practical gifts. If a man needs a new vacuum cleaner, he'll be delighted to receive one for Christmas.

Try doing that with a woman though........ (please don't ask me how I know ;-))
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 04:19:37 pm »
There used to be an old joke..
"What do you get a man who has everything - penicillin"

We like useful things .. a decent welder, better shed, a good knife, an airgun, axes, power tools, lathes, mills, named brand circuit tester (fluke). If you've gotta be cheap then a curry. Or a  mistress (but not on the same day as the curry) ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 05:19:23 pm »
Remember men are in general different from women in that they're fine with useful, practical gifts. If a man needs a new vacuum cleaner, he'll be delighted to receive one for Christmas.

My ex-husband bought me a vacuum cleaner once.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 05:50:01 pm »
For my birthday I want a song from my wife and kids - but I don't want to suffer a rehersal. Can you sing?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 06:11:50 pm »
I've bought my husband a Christmas cake! Can't stand the stuff myself but he loves it. Will wrap it up for Christmas and I know he'll love it.
Other favourites are penknives, anything gun related and woolly hats.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 08:04:39 pm »
What about an upgrade on something he already has, whether it works but is ratty or is on its on its last legs as an old favourite ?

New lanyard for sheep dog whistle? New whistle? A 1-2-1 with the trainer he admires most?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 08:58:45 pm »

My ex-husband bought me a vacuum cleaner once.

Two years ago, BH offered to buy the new vacuum cleaner as my Christmas present.   :rant:   

So I paid for it.   :thinking:   :tired:  :dunce:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS