Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A wild night  (Read 2478 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
A wild night
« on: November 18, 2015, 01:35:36 pm »
Its usually windy up here where we are.  But last night the wind got up around tea time, and while I was feeding the animals, it was so bad I could hardly stand up in the field.  I was really worried, that the stable roof or goat arks would blow away.  I was also worried about little Betsy one of the Gotland lambs, who is still tiny in comparison to the others.  I thought she would be blown off the hill.  Thankfully, all was intact this morning, including Betsy who was yelling for her breakfast.

I have just seen on the weather, we are having a 10 degree drop in temperature, and have snow heading our way .....great.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Re: A wild night
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:23:24 pm »
We lost a metal feed shed overnight - upended into the hedge behind. I've managed to get it upright again but looks like I'll need to start hunting for a long-term replacement...

https://www.facebook.com/HempsalsCommunityFarm/photos/a.200438700087673.47235.164568043674739/725739647557573/?type=3&theater

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 02:28:38 pm »
We escaped any damage apart from the tarp on the chicken run that we had to remove before it went flying. I'm a bit concerns by the temperature drop at the weekend, minus numbers! Better start preparing the animals!
________
Caroline

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 04:21:06 pm »
Wild day and night here yesterday. It really picked up yesterday and I lost one of my hens, thankfully she came back in the evening, but I was in a real state I can tell you. The wind removed my old oil tank, so I had to reposition it and believe me the wind must have been bad because that thing is extremely difficult to move. I don't think I lost any tiles, but the wifi went down and then was back again the next morning. Just when I thought the worst has passed, the second wave of the storm, although not as bad, has come over us and is tossing us to and fro, I hate this weather! :rant:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 09:40:56 pm »
Seems to be affecting a lot of areas.  Its such a worry when you have livestock - thinking their home is going to get blown down with them in it.....its gone windy again, here tonight.  I spent last night waking up and wondering .....and first thing this morning, well, as soon as it was light enough, I looked across onto the other hillside, and counted the goat arks to make sure they were all still there.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 09:41:58 pm »
Our neighbour came to tell us, this morning, that our garage roof was off. The garages are in an area behind the houses so it could have been a few days before we found out if he hadn't told us. We keep the hay and straw in there so rushed down to cover it all with tarpaulin. Fortunately it wasn't soaked. We've made sure we have enough for the next few days up near the house and the rest is covered - unless the wind takes the tarp of course. Insurance assessor out in the next couple of days.

It was a great relief to see the goat shed had stood up to the wind but, being near the house, it was a bit more sheltered.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 10:38:03 pm »
MGM  thank goodness your hay and straw was not ruined.  I have a dread of storms ever since my barn roof took off and ended up on a neighbours garage roof causing a lot of damage, and our stable roof went across the road, and the lady who owns the field opposite came across to tell us it was there.  Could not believe how far it had gone, and just grateful it had not hit a car on the way.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 10:59:51 pm »
My green roof on the shed is still on the shed just. At one point thought I might find it on the lawn. A green roof on the lawn is just a bit of grass.

Curious to find the Angora goats happily enjoying the wind rather than taking shelter in the goat shed.  :goat:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 12:27:20 am »
The assessor came out to look at the storm damage to the garage today. Just have to wait to hear from the insurance company now.

Yes, Roxy, it was a relief. I can just see the top of the garage from the back door so I've been watching for sight of a flapping tarp. So far it's stayed put and I did have a check while we were there today.

I'm wondering now why the assessor asked if he could put down that I have 'mobility problems' and my OH is bling. Wish I'd asked why at the time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS