Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for professional advice on claiming subsidies etc. in Wales. NFU? Agent?  (Read 3757 times)

Cryptogamix

• Joined Nov 2015
Hi all,

This my first post on this this forum -- hope this is appropriate...

I have bought a property in Mid-Wales of 40 acres -- part of an old farm. Its a mixture of rough pasture and woodland. At the moment I'm grass letting the pasture, but I believe that I can still still register to claim subsidies, which will open the door to various agri-environment schemes that could be useful. This area is rich in wildlife and I want to manage the land for conservation.

I find the bureaucracy really baffling and would like to find someone who really understands the system to guide me through, as well as giving some practical advice. (I'm pretty clueless  :-\ )

I think the farmers' unions such as NFU-Cymru and FUW might be able to provide advice if I join. Do people think this is the best route to go down, or are there independent advisors out there who might be able to give a better service? If anyone has any experience with this kind of thing I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Many thanks!

Joe

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Your too late for claiming now - you may be able to buy some later off the church or rich people with baack gardens as big as ya house.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
Def go through your farmers unioun - they know what boxes to tick.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Join union  (NFU advised us).
 Not sure you will be able to claim BFP though ..... you should have applied as a new entrant last May. 
Maybe ring ministry direct and ask?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

steve_pr

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire Borders
I agree that it is all baffling (especially since they insist in printing half of it in Welsh over here!!) but we always found the local govt office very helpful (ours is in Carmarthen).  The whole Glastir thing is a complete nightmare as far as I am concerned and the single payment form (which is now only available online) appears very complex when you start, since you need to get all the maps and field references sorted - then it gets easier.  For a small farm (we are about 14 acres) it is a real pain since you have all the paperwork associated with a larger property but don't get to be able to claim any money back!!!  Grrr!

However, when you mention woodland my eyes lit up.  The Forestry people are brilliant (once you track them down).  We have 2 acres or so of wet woodland and decided to extend it up the steep slope (too bloody steep to do anything else on with safety) and got a grant to plant, fence, weed and maintain the new woodland. The local guy even came out to see us, talked through the forms, helped create the maps and do the application for us.  Well worth while.

The other people to contact would be Farming Connect (who I think have just changed their name).  This is our biggest source of frustration since it is designed to help build skills, provide advice and the like (they will pay 80% of training course to learn how to spray yourself with pesticide (or not), how not to kill your sheep when transporting them  and so on!).  The trouble is, at 14 acres we are too small to qualify, even though our local rep was sure that since we had a woodland improvement grant it was automatic for us. Even she is frustrated.  We go to all the local meetings, farm visits and events and they are really useful, we just cannot get any financial assistance - it is even driving the rep nuts trying on our behalf.  At 40 acres you may find a way to qualify and is a useful source of help and perhaps money.

Remember, all the schemes over here in Wales is slightly different to England (I think) and definitely different to Scotland so be wary of generic advice.  Good luck, and invest in a good pair of wellies - you will need them over here (but we love it anyway since moving over here 4 years ago).

Steve

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
More hassle than what it;s worth.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
The other option is to let the ground (on paper) to someone who already has subsidies and has lost land. 

Many farmers lose land that they rent or have owned.  To claim subsidies you need ground that no-one is claiming on already to apply it too.

40 acres of clean grazing would get you around £3000 (total guess) a year in the first year but the first payment is only something like 25% (guess) of the final payment in 4 years (guess)

I missed the boat totally as normal - but I'll be looking at these two options should they arise.

Ta

Barry

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
The subs are also based on what you had 3 years ago and you had to prove you were farming at that time - so loads of people situations have changed.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook

The other people to contact would be Farming Connect (who I think have just changed their name).  This is our biggest source of frustration since it is designed to help build skills, provide advice and the like (they will pay 80% of training course to learn how to spray yourself with pesticide (or not), how not to kill your sheep when transporting them  and so on!). .

Farming Connect is still called Farming connect and their criteria has changed a lot this autumn .... we couldn't tap into their training fund before .... but with their new criteria we can ..... so worth a double check for anyone who wasn't eligible before
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS