Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sickening sheep  (Read 10969 times)

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: Sickening sheep
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 11:02:35 pm »
I love my Herdwicks. They're like big, friendly dogs. Both batches were from very large hill flocks and not at all user-friendly when I got them, but they soon got used to the sound of the bucket/feed bag/Mule engine. With any breed, starting them off in a smaller area, where you have more chance to interact with them is best.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 11:23:51 pm »
I have three Zwartble X, and I can not get rid of them. I even baa at me when I litter pick the road when the can see me through the hedge and over the dyke.
  I keep threatening them, but our dog can bark at them and they will sometimes chase the dog, the only thing them are really wary off is our welsh pony who will push them off the hay. I move them by following a bucket where I get mown over, its a bit like crowd surfing, with the dog barking at them which is no help at all.
  They have mown the grass beautifully  and my next task is to set up some more fencing so them work there way though my orchard over the winter. I just need to teach the dog to herd.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2015, 07:33:57 am »
I have 15 Zwartbles ewes and do not need feed.  I have a hurdle pen in the field and they put themselves into it for me to shut in so that I can move the electric fence without worrying they get over it.  The fence is moved every other day at the moment.  There is a back fence to move and two ponies follow the sheep along the field eating anything the sheep have left.  Even the wily old ewe I bought at the Welshpool sale who was not going near a pen when I got her pushes her way in.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2015, 11:21:02 pm »
I love my Herdwicks. They're like big, friendly dogs. Both batches were from very large hill flocks and not at all user-friendly when I got them, but they soon got used to the sound of the bucket/feed bag/Mule engine. With any breed, starting them off in a smaller area, where you have more chance to interact with them is best.
I quite agree TT, I have had Herdwicks for 7 years now, I don't find them flighty or hard to handle and I don't have a dog either.  Now Portlands are a different matter.  Intelligent sheep I like, stupid ones I don't.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2015, 08:31:51 am »

PS remember rare breeds are rare for a reason!

But Llanwenogs are rare   but also   not too big,  lovely wool,  prolific, easy to handle, and look like Shaun :)
and Cannington college trials are finding they compare favourably with Lleyns
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2015, 08:32:16 pm »
Read a henry brewis book - your not alone, look back and laugh, we all have bad days with sheep no matter what breed. Cows on the other hand can have their own issues. My experience of Herdwicks are they are clostraphobic they like to be on the other side of the fence but don't go farther.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 10:20:10 pm »
Get a dog. Or buy cades.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 09:52:38 pm »
Cades or Mollies as we call them in these parts  :love:

I got a tribe of six mooching about in top shed,plus they have orchard, a bit of coastal path and a few paddocks.  They're currently joined  by a few ol cull ewes, spoilt rotten they are  :innocent:

They do have a job at the mo ahem, training the new Schnauzer puppy  :-J  They so used to dogs n cat
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:55:45 pm by Hellybee »

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2015, 07:59:45 am »
Get a dog. Or buy cades.

We have four dogs! None are good for rounding them, I have a friend who brings his to limit some of the 'break your neck' situations  :D

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2015, 07:07:42 pm »
I just say EWE EWE lol

Ram lambs are now trained lol, ewe lambs next x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS