Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig liver pate  (Read 4606 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Pig liver pate
« on: November 17, 2015, 12:48:21 pm »
Yesterday I made some pig liver pate from our Berkshires.  At the end I was somewhat disappointed as you don't get much and foolishly I decided to do smooth pate as the recipe was easier despite preferring coarse (lazy cook syndrome). And I didn't have any brandy (yes thanks for putting the empty bottle in the box and back in the cabinet) so used Sherry instead.

Lunch today put some on toast. Good! It is fantastic!  Now the challenge is to save enough for when the guys get home........

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
Re: Pig liver pate
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 03:16:29 pm »
Any chance of posting the recipe?
We have two  :pig: going on Monday - the last liver pate I made was strong - too strong. You may have inspired me to have another go
Thanks in anticipation
Zac  :thumbsup:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 03:34:19 pm »

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 04:38:11 pm »
and it freezes  :excited:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 05:36:11 pm »
Apart from the Sherry bit I did follow the recipe exactly, bit of an act of faith as it looks like a liver smoothly before it goes through the sieve not the nicest of processes but good result. Let me know how you get on.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 07:14:12 pm »
I did a marathon load of pate making yesterday - did about 6lbs of 3 pork pate and then the smooth one as per the recipes I posted here:
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=11236.msg107693#msg107693
We had the rough one for supper tonight on my sourdough toast with homemade beetroot orange and carrot chutney - YUMMY  :excited:

I see the smooth pate is the same as the one mentioned on this thread - tho' the one I posted was a Nigel Slater one

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 07:47:11 pm »
Ardennes pate ( i have a recipe from a book called Pig by Johnnie Mountain} is lovely. I add more liver than the recipe as i always have loads.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 10:51:10 pm »
Is it OK to use liver previously frozen?
When we butchered our first pig at home in Sept it was all a bit overwhelming, and I only managed sausages and putting hams/bacon into cure on top of the cutting that day. So I froze various bits to proccess 'later' including offal.
Would it be OK to use the frozen livers for a Christmas pate?
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 03:46:51 pm »
I have used frozen liver most of the time - like you when we first get our meat back from the abattoir there is so much to contend with I end up bunging most of it in the freezer and then dealing with it at leisure.
The good thing is as you freeze it raw, you can defrost, make and cook the pate and then freeze again  :thumbsup:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 04:07:53 pm »
This is great, I didn't think you could freeze pate which is why i've not used our pig livers to make it. I'm the only one who eats it so I can't get through it all before it goes off. But if you can freeze it I'll definitely be giving it a go!

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 02:13:23 pm »
I made some pate earlier in the year and froze it in small blocks. Defrosted some recently that I used in a beef wellington, wow was that yummy and so satisfying that I knew it was homemade.
________
Caroline

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS