Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Things to consider when selling meat on line?  (Read 3747 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Things to consider when selling meat on line?
« on: November 17, 2015, 08:26:37 am »
I am just researching the process of selling meat on line and wondered if any of you could,

recommend a Yorkshire / national meat courier?

advise on packaging required ( I'm guessing that I would need to vac pac it?)

Offer any pearls of wisdom or direct me to any information resources? :thinking:

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Things to consider when selling meat on line?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 08:39:03 am »
We use Parcelforce, they offer quite a good service for a reasonable cost

We use Woolcool insulated boxes, i don't agree with polystyrene, so for a little extra this fits in with our ethic.

Our butcher does vac pack everything but sausages (they're wrapped in trays)

I would involve EH early, they're there to help and our guy is really good

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:42:36 am »
I have a friend who uses Polar Express, think they're based in Leeds. No idea what the costs are like though!

Where are you thinking of selling Buffy? Noticed a lot has appeared on Preloved etc recently! :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 08:43:55 am »
Have a search through the forum, this has been discussed a few times in the past  ;)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 09:18:10 am »
I have found some threads on the forum Happy and got some useful links for igloo etc.

I havent come across the woolcool packaging though greenbeast so thanks for that. I got my EHO round a few weeks ago before I did my Food Safety cert and he was very helpful. My nest step in order to butcher from home is my HACCP and in order to complete that I need to be clear about the product, the process, the storage and the shopfront. Whether that be selling from the farm, the back of a van or online. So I am trying to understand the whole process of packaging, storage, delivery etc.

Thanks for that Sophie I will google Polar Express. I live in one of the biggest Agricultural areas in the country and as a result, despite the affluence their is very little regard for high end, high welfare meat products. I found it so much easier to sell my produce to customers when I worked in Leeds and even now my butchered lamb is all sold to customers in North and West Leeds. Its interesting to note that M and S or Waitrose have no stores in my region...tough nuts to crack perhaps?

I want to be able to butcher my own pork and lamb next year and sell to a wider area without having to drive it there myself ideally.  So I'm in the process of getting my head around it all, any feedback greatly appreciated.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 10:11:52 am »
I sold some of my Jersey heifer online recently.  I've shared some of my learnings already

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=64977.msg527496#msg527496
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=70128.msg558776#msg558776

I was surprised and pleased to find that overnight couriering of fresh meat isn't unusual, and people were happy to pay for it.  Yes, it needs vac-packed.

I took advice from folks on here and went to JB Packaging for boxes, chiller strips and so on.  I found APC Overnight (it's nationwide, use the depot finder to find your local operation) who are prepared to courier fresh meat.  The meat is not insured, however, so that's a risk you take. 

My main learnings were:
  • do use the cardboard outers on the boxes if they're being couriered
  • use 12kg deep boxes for 10kg meat (discuss with JB, if using them - very helpful knowledgeable staff)
  • try to order packaging that comes from one depot to reduce packaging delivery charges
  • if it's feasible for you, order packaging in bulk, which again reduces packaging delivery charges per customer
  • remember to factor in the weight of the packaging when calculating courier costs
  • don't courier fresh meat overnight long distances / out of the way destinations in summer (not that we had any problems, but we could have done - noon deliveries are achievable, 10am only for nearer by and/or less rural destinations)
  • if you are VAT-registered, you can reclaim the VAT on packaging and on couriering, and do not need to charge VAT on these elements to your customers (correct as of June 2015; do check, because I'd expect them to close that loophole when they spot it!  :D)

Sounds like you'll be doing your own butchery, so I'll not offer any advice about working with your butcher :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 10:49:34 am »
Thanks Sall,

thats really useful.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 12:54:00 pm »
If you're butchering yourself and selling to the 'general public'  you'll need EH approved premises (it was going to cost us a couple of thousand to make the changes they wanted  :-\ we still use a professional butcher) and you'll have to get trading standards involved re. labelling (especially if you are making sausage/burgers/bacon). Without sounding like a damp squib, I'd get in touch with both of them to check you'll meet their requirements.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 05:12:00 pm »
Hi Happy,

as mentioned above the EHO has been round and is fine with the premises that I plan to use. Just need an additional sink.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 01:38:26 pm »
all of the above plus;

professional labelling - I tried and tested many labels - some of which slid off or came off in the freezer.  You really need super deep freeze labels weights of cut.  Legally you need the location address/phone no. slaughtered in and cut in.  Use by date. Sausages/burgers should have a list of ingredients.

APC are the only ones that I know that courier meat.

I was always on a knife edge posting meat always worried it wouldnt arrive and if it did the recipient was out so you need to have a label to say leave the package in the porch/shed etc.

Overall I thought that through my experience it must look professional and be quality cut.  Biggest problem to overcome is you may have the best produce but the butcher can really f**k it up.  Finding a butcher you understands the fridge, cutting and packaging is worth his weight in gold and worth paying that bit more.  Sloppy wet netted pork is not good enough now people expect it to be better than they can buy on the high street.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS