Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland Pony Colt For Sale  (Read 5301 times)

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
Shetland Pony Colt For Sale
« on: November 16, 2015, 05:49:37 pm »
Shetland Pony Colt for sale.
He was born in May and I purchased his mother with the wee fella at foot.
He's friendly, curious and a tiny bit cheeky :-) is very quick on the uptake.
He has excellent lines  with Wells, Kinness and Hools bloodlines throughout his pedigree. Would make a good ridden or in hand showing prospect.
Sad to have to let him go.  Viewings welcome and his mother who has been recently broken for my children can be seen.
Offers please

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
Re: Shetland Pony Colt For Sale
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 03:35:29 pm »
Hi Claire, thanks for that. If he doesn't sell i'll geld him and run him on a bit. Not looking for hundreds for him, just want a good home. He's a real character  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 11:42:08 pm »
Wish I'd more than just a third of an acre, my dogs would love a playmate, and I'd be the 'coolest ganny' in the county! :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 11:54:15 am »
He's a really cool dude, would make an awesome lawnmower or pet or a show or ridden pony.
There will be tears when he goes (and that's just my partner)!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 01:19:50 pm »
I assume with him still being a colt he will not be able to stay with his Mum much longer.  I have two mini Shetlands, who were stallions, and it cost me about £150 each, because being small they had to go into the vets to be gelded.  Would have been cheaper otherwise.

He would be easier to sell if he were gelded, but it is the cost, which does vary in different areas. 

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 06:10:20 pm »
Hi Roxy. I'm in the process of weaning him just now. I've brought him next to the house so I can do some halter work with him throughout the day and so I can keep a good eye on him. He's a wee monkey!

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 04:12:54 pm »
Hi Waterbuffalofarmer
I've got his mother who i'm breaking for my children and a horse for myself. Just trying to cut down on the ponies in favour of things that we can eat if i'm honest! We've got limited space here so grazing is at a premium. I'd keep him just because he's a wee cracker but he wouldn't have a real "job" here either. I like ponies to have a purpose :-)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 05:13:20 pm »
He will not have a job except as a companion for the next couple of years anyway but will be attractive to more homes when gelded.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 05:35:23 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/accidentalsmallholder/

A few posts down to see the working mini Shetland  :thumbsup:

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 05:59:29 pm »
Thanks Rosemary, it's a really interesting. I'll let leave the laptop on that page and leave it strategically in my partners path...  ;)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 06:50:23 pm »
Thanks very much for sending that to me. I guess you just can't keep them all, you'll be the same with your buffalo. Hey that's a thought.... Fancy a Shetland pony/water buffalo swap? That would really confuse the kids! ;D

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 08:20:06 pm »
cost about £400 each to get gelded but that can vary.

Wow that is pricey - have you been rude to your vet Claire? ;)

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 08:31:38 pm »
I was quoted £150-200which I thought was reasonable???

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 09:00:12 pm »
Thanks very much for sending that to me. I guess you just can't keep them all, you'll be the same with your buffalo. Hey that's a thought.... Fancy a Shetland pony/water buffalo swap? That would really confuse the kids! ;D
Na its alright, would be funny though eh? :roflanim: You're right I feel that way every time I have to get rid of an old buffalo, its so sad, but it has to be done doesn't it? I hope you sell him though and all the best :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS