Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Winter already!  (Read 1970 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Winter already!
« on: November 13, 2015, 05:02:32 pm »
Winter for us began last week, I knew it was bad when I could smell silage in the air..... That same day I put a bale out for the buffaloes, I have to put one out every single day now..... plus they have cake in the parlour and I always have the young stock away from the herd, until they're old enough and big enough to run with the bull.  The last of calving is all over now and  all the calves are nicely tucked up in the buildings, with plenty of food and bedding, can't wait until spring when the grass has come through and the temp has risen well for them to go outside. I think it may be a particularly cold winter this year. Still nice warm and cosy animals and a nice warm cosy house for me to come into after work. What is it like for all you lot this winter?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
Re: Winter already!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:02:13 pm »
I'm looking forward to getting my barn and sheds re-roofed so they'll be watertight and I can buy in enough hay to last until spring. We are getting our first cattle in January, a couple of yearling Dexters, very excited about that but hoping they will be able to winter outside (with a shelter) as I don't fancy all the mucking out. I love it when it's blowing a gale outside, though, and I'm safe and cosy working in the barn with the smell of hay and the animals inside and contentedly chewing :D

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 06:40:59 pm »
We've  got snow on the hills the Valley is cooling. I think next week more cold wether. We will get to Christmas but fuel  hay silage is  naw being used. But then I think it will be long and hard winter. There will be a mild spell before Christmas and then cold winds snow etc.

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 09:22:29 pm »
Had some flurries of sleet on Thursday & Friday here in Moray. The temperature has dropped suddenly - Steve was thinking about wearing a jumper when we went to Elgin on Friday!

Just started feeding hay to the cattle who have finished the last of the margins on the hay fields.

Not looking forward to this winter - if the forecasters are right about a El Nino event, we could be in for a very long, snowy few months till next May. I expect the Shetland cattle won't mind as long as they have hay and somewhere dry to sleep, but I guess it'll be a slog for their keepers.

Sue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS