Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How early can I prune apples?  (Read 3975 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
How early can I prune apples?
« on: November 08, 2015, 07:42:21 am »
Hi people,

How early can I prune my three year old apple trees? I need to put up some extra protection round them ASAP and don't want to have to take it down again in midwinter to prune, though I will if I have to.

Thanks

:tree: :tree: :tree:
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: How early can I prune apples?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:24:37 am »
Having attended a short pruning course last January it would seem that January and February is the best time.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 12:20:17 pm »
I wouldn't prune until all the leaves have fallen and the fruit is off. 

The danger of pruning too early is that you then get frost damage to the cut ends and you end up having to cut back even further.  Not good with a young tree you are still trying to shape.  Or if the autumn weather is still balmy, as this year, your tree might try to put up fresh growth before the winter, instead of hanging onto its resources until spring.

When is the best time depends very much on your location.  I leave mine until very late winter, say March, or even into April if we are having a particularly cold spell.  Definitely don't prune when it's actually frosty.  Judge by your local weather conditions at the time.

For me, here, I would protect the tree now, then remove the protection temporarily to prune at the right time
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 02:23:17 pm »
Does your tree need additional protection in Hampshire?  Our young trees survived 90 cm of snow, minus13 degrees C. of frost and 100 mph winds on a hilltop in the Marches (although not all at once). 

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 10:10:39 pm »
Thanks all. MF it's protection from a pony, they already have low protection from sheep but it needs a higher layer. I'll put something on now and take it off later.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 11:40:58 pm »
Ahem. I wish you'd posted this earlier. I pruned mine the other week. I thought the goats would enjoy the leaves and twiggy bits. Oops.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 07:28:15 am »
I've always pruned mine end nov when the leaves are off and not had any problems although this year it's going to be later just because everything is.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 11:03:55 pm »
I was planning to wait another month to do mine, good to know what others are doing though
________
Caroline

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 04:49:22 pm »
I generally prune whenever I remember to, once the leaves are off the trees.  Worked OK so far.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 10:38:59 am »
Finally had a little sun yesterday and a gap in rain so started on the espaliers. Still one tree with a leaf or two on it. Got about half of the run done (it's a long run) before running out of garden wire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS