Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weaning calves  (Read 1805 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
weaning calves
« on: November 06, 2015, 02:46:28 pm »
I know a number of you have sucklers,  when do you wean your calves and how do you do that on a limited acreage?  Sheds are not an option here!   If you do split ... how long before they can be put back together?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: weaning calves
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 06:29:44 pm »
I would be weaning April born calves after New Year some time to give the cow a couple of months without a calf drawing on her. And as the weather is often shitty around then it's good to get the calves inside.
If the cows were thin or i was a bit short of feed i would wean earlier or if i thought the cows were a bit fat i could leave the calves on them for a bit longer.
I have never used or even seen these things but might just be ideal for your situation where you don't want to split the cow and calf http://longashspecklepark.com/quietwean.html

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: weaning calves
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:09:02 pm »
On a limited acreage, with no housing facilities, would you not be better just weaning the calves at 8 or 9 months old and selling them?
I personally either sell them at weaning or, for those that I'm keeping, leave them on their mother and they wean themselves naturally.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS