Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making the move - Cumbria!  (Read 6374 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Making the move - Cumbria!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 02:59:46 pm »
Ah Sophie,

then it will be a doddle! We couldn't fathom how to move to Wales because we were imagining the normal property sale / purchase shenanigans that involve vacating your property buy lunchtime, driving to the vicinity of your new property and waiting in a pub ( or a layby if its a village pub that shuts at 2pm)until you get a call to say that your funds have cleared and you can go get the key to your new property from the agent.

But if your mum is buying your place presumably you could do things in stages as Chris did. Looks like the land is a big learning curve though so renting would be a really good way to avoid buying something in haste and regretting it at your leisure. It's all good though, just different.  :thumbsup: [size=78%] [/size]

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 08:03:55 am »
Went up to look at a couple of places for sale at the weekend  :) One looks pretty good but it needs a LOT of work doing.. could be a hectic couple of years.

Went to see another farm and the owners had gone out (mildly irritating when you've driven 4 hours). Because we'd driven so far we decided, legal or not, to have a little look around the yard. The farm clearly hasnt been worked in some time and the barns were in a bad way - no doors, cracked walls etc. Poked my head through one barn door way and was slightly disgusted to see a rather large heap of lamb skeletons and tufts of wool  >:( Certainly not what I'd leave lying around, especially when selling and considering laws on animal disposal! Needless to say we won't be buying there!

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 03:37:16 pm »
Good luck  :fc: . We are also moving to Cumbria and know nobody !! so perhaps we can be friends  :hug:  ? we have been buying a small farm just outside Appleby since late June and we are in the final straight now and hoping to be moved by Christmas (2015)  :excited: :fc: . We only have a few animals to take, 2 ponies, 2 dogs, a cat, 10 hens 1 cockerel and 5 Guinea Fowl so should be simple and easy  :roflanim: .
Good luck and if we can be of any help please drop us a line or shout.

Louise in Suffolk soon to be Cumbria  :wave:
So many ideas, not enough hours

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 06:31:34 pm »
We are also moving to Cumbria and know nobody !!

Neither of you know nobody :)   :wave:

I've a friend near Appleby, Louise; we both spin and are learning to weave, and are both members of Eden Valley Guild of Spinners, Weavers and Dyers - we'd be very glad to introduce you, if you fancy it :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 09:49:59 pm »
Good luck to everyone who is relocating - with or without livestock!
I'm in the scary position of doing this on my own soon. Moving nearly 90 miles to a place where I know no-one, apart from the vendor and a couple who came on one of my courses at Humble by Nature. My core herd of eight pedigree breeding sows/gilts plus a few others are currently in B&B accommodation with friends in Wiltshire, my sheep are moving to temporary grazing for a few weeks later this week, but I'll be taking with me about a dozen weaners/growers with me this weekend - plus the dogs.
I've already spent a small fortune hiring three x 7.5 tonne lorries on various weekends to ferry the vast amount of gates, hurdles, wooden panels and stakes, etc., etc. to the new place - thanks to a very accommodating vendor, who was happy with me moving stuff ahead of the sale.
I've booked a removal lorry and two blokes for Saturday (huge cost) to load and transport the house contents, while I help to load a friend's lorry with pig arks, gates, etc., etc., and then load the trailer with pigs and head to the destination. Once there, I'll unhitch the trailer, race to the estate agent's shop to get the keys, and hopefully get back before the two lorries arrive.

I need to get someone in asap to replace some sheeting on one of the barns, get some sheeted galvanised panels fabricated, concrete floor laid, automatic drinkers fitted, and then the rest of the herd can move to their new home.
After that, it's planning where the new stock fencing needs to go, and where I'm going to site arks and run electric fencing. Oh, and there's the small matter of setting up a business from scratch in a completely new area.
Did someone mention Christmas?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 07:58:27 am »
Good luck  :fc: . We are also moving to Cumbria and know nobody !! so perhaps we can be friends  :hug:  ? we have been buying a small farm just outside Appleby since late June and we are in the final straight now and hoping to be moved by Christmas (2015)  :excited: :fc: . We only have a few animals to take, 2 ponies, 2 dogs, a cat, 10 hens 1 cockerel and 5 Guinea Fowl so should be simple and easy  :roflanim: .
Good luck and if we can be of any help please drop us a line or shout.

Louise in Suffolk soon to be Cumbria  :wave:

You sound much more organised than me! I need to start work in January and haven't found anywhere to live yet  :D

Good luck!

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 07:59:43 am »
Good luck to everyone who is relocating - with or without livestock!
I'm in the scary position of doing this on my own soon. Moving nearly 90 miles to a place where I know no-one, apart from the vendor and a couple who came on one of my courses at Humble by Nature. My core herd of eight pedigree breeding sows/gilts plus a few others are currently in B&B accommodation with friends in Wiltshire, my sheep are moving to temporary grazing for a few weeks later this week, but I'll be taking with me about a dozen weaners/growers with me this weekend - plus the dogs.
I've already spent a small fortune hiring three x 7.5 tonne lorries on various weekends to ferry the vast amount of gates, hurdles, wooden panels and stakes, etc., etc. to the new place - thanks to a very accommodating vendor, who was happy with me moving stuff ahead of the sale.
I've booked a removal lorry and two blokes for Saturday (huge cost) to load and transport the house contents, while I help to load a friend's lorry with pig arks, gates, etc., etc., and then load the trailer with pigs and head to the destination. Once there, I'll unhitch the trailer, race to the estate agent's shop to get the keys, and hopefully get back before the two lorries arrive.

I need to get someone in asap to replace some sheeting on one of the barns, get some sheeted galvanised panels fabricated, concrete floor laid, automatic drinkers fitted, and then the rest of the herd can move to their new home.
After that, it's planning where the new stock fencing needs to go, and where I'm going to site arks and run electric fencing. Oh, and there's the small matter of setting up a business from scratch in a completely new area.
Did someone mention Christmas?

Good luck TT - sounds a bit scary! Finger crossed for you!  :fc:

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 03:49:57 pm »
Thank you sallyintnorth, I also spin  :spin:  and have looked up the Eden spinning guild already with a view to joining so hopefully will meet you there, and Sophie Yorkshire if we get to Cumbria before you, We'll happily accommodate/help you  :hug: although we've just come back from a meeting with our solicitor who is "are well, but and if ing" about wether it will happen before Christmas so  :fc: :fc: :fc:  and thank you for your offers of friendship x

So many ideas, not enough hours

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS