Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First kidder this year seems to be drying up - advice?  (Read 1706 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
First kidder this year seems to be drying up - advice?
« on: November 04, 2015, 09:46:01 am »
Hi Folks,

I've got a first time kidder (2yr old) BT who has been milking well, but over the last week her milk production has started to drop off. She's fine in herself, no sign whatsoever of illness and its happened at about the time I've been drying up those that will be off to the billy this year so I'm guessing its just seasonal.

She's fed a coarse goat mix whilst milking, has good hay and a lick in her stall - same as I've always done. They also get bits and bobs of foliage, mostly willow. Is there anything I can do to keep her milk up over the winter? I was thinking about trying a supplement of some kind - any recommendations?

Thanks,

Ben

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: First kidder this year seems to be drying up - advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 10:27:02 am »
It's the time of year they all drop down with the lowest around new year if you are running her through just keep feeding her well and milking her by February they normally pick up again and build up there yield again towards spring, that's what mine do. As a first kidder they don't usually have such a big yield as subsequent lactations so may drop further than a mature milker. Also if she stops coming into season every 3 weeks may have false pregnancy - cloudburst which may make her dry off as if she was in kid. Also genetics and individuality  play a part some run through better than others.
It's just seasonal extra supplements/ feed I find don't tend to help.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:57:53 am by Talana »

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 11:39:53 am »
Also make sure you strip her out properly at each milking - rub along the milk vein until udder is emptied.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 01:58:55 pm »
If she is in good condition and you are not desperate to get milk from her, I would put her back in-kid. Her milk can easily go down to just over a litre a day, and you have to decide if it is worth the effort of milking. Also how much is she giving now?

Extra feed or supplementing her diet (but with what?) will not increase her milk again this side of winter.

If she is a bit skinny and not very mature yet, I would continue to milk her, perhaps drop to once a day and keep up her feed ration to allow her time to fill out again.

My 1st kidder GGxBT is now down to just over 2.5kgs per day, whereas her (identical) sister (a year older and 2nd kidder) is still up at over 3.5kgs...

If you decide to mate her again and dry her off reducing her concentrate to nearly zero will probably do it quite quickly.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 10:41:28 pm »
Thanks folks, I do need the milk and she's giving about three pints a day at the moment so it looks like I'll just persevere and hope for an early spring!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS