Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to farrow?  (Read 6425 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Where to farrow?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 06:53:28 am »
This is the pig shed that we built this summer. I think might be better for her and the ewes can keep the lambing shed to themselves. It just means that I wont have a tea station!

What's wrong with a flask!!

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: Where to farrow?
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 08:13:46 am »
Hi Sophie. That's an interesting idea. Could you post a picture of how that works in practice? How do you secure the cage? I've always used the upside-down sheep feeders, but I did have one young sow get her head stuck in between the bars, so now only do it with the big old sows.

Hi TT. How did you get her out?  :D

I've attached a photo of some weaners in a cage, but will take an overall photo tonight.

I unscrew the 'base' of the IBC container and then remove the tank from inside. Then using the holes through the cage bars that were for the base, I can bolt it straight onto the floor. I make sure I can remove the bolts fairly easily because I learnt trying to sweep the straw out through small holes doesn't work very well! I then use one of the bars across the top to hang the heat lamp from, and adjust as needed. If its a small litter or particularly cold there's just space to squeeze a small bale down the side to reduce the space/drafts.

I make sure the side the weaners are going in is the side where the tap on the container would be, as its like a double size hole. I've not had any weaners get stuck yet but I've seen them having to use the bigger hole when they're 10 weeks  ;) Probably could get away with it with smaller breed pigs
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:15:46 am by SophieYorkshire »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS